How do you integrate ADST into your day? You might consider the following:
What do the concepts of social emotional (perseverance, resilience, self regulation), curiosity, exploration and problem solving have in common? They are all intricately woven in the fabric of Applied Design, Skills and Technology. At the elementary level, these experiences can be captured through centers focused on developing the mindset capacity of Computational Thinking in ADST. Including the core competencies of Personal Awareness, Communication and Critical Thinking provides a greater depth to the sessions.
Centers allow multiple entry points to include something for everyone (a success story waiting to unfold). Each center is designed for active engagement in both the building/making aspect, as well as revealing self regulation, perseverance, resilience… (Personal Awareness Competency). Reflection during and afterwards is key to explicitly connect the maker mindset and language of the competencies (critical thinking, communication, personal awareness) in using “I can…” statements.
The following instructions are part of our 20 centers. You can download each of the instructions to glue onto cards. (Some centers may require further supplies and these are listed.)
- Elenco Snap Circuits
- Graffiti Board (needs wall or other vertical panel, coloured whiteboard pens, eraser)
- Keva Planks
- Lego Chutes Plus
- littleBits Coding (needs a computer)
- Sphero Sprk Robots (needs ipad) Charging instructions (Recommended 6-Port USB charger)
- LittleCodr cards (unplugged)
- Puzzles (needs a variety of puzzles)
- Makey Makey (2 kits) (need 2 computers, playdough, graphite from pencils)
- Ollie (robot) (needs ipad)
- Pixel Art (unplugged) (may need computer)
- Code.org (online) (needs computer)
- Crossy Road, LightBot, CargoBot, ScratchJr, Swift Playgrounds (ipads with downloaded apps, need wifi)
- Garage Band (need ipad)
- Binary Code & Indigenous Loom Beading (ASCII Binary Code Table, box loom, beads [variety of colours: seed or pony], thread, long needles, E6000 glue, small amount of fabric covering ends, keychain rings) [NEW]
- Kinetic Sand (Kinetic Sand; large plastic tub with lid to hold sand and creation) [NEW]
More ADST ideas?
Check out our posts on this topic. Hover over and click for details.