ANNOUNCEMENT: We’ve just added more centers, making these kits even more inclusive of design thinking, creation and reflection. Stay Tuned!
How do you integrate ADST into your day? You might consider the following:
What do the concepts of social emotional (perseverance, resilience, self regulation), curiosity, exploration and problem solving have in common? They are all intricately woven in the fabric of Applied Design, Skills and Technology. At the elementary level, these experiences can be captured through centers focused on developing the mindset capacity of Computational Thinking in ADST. Including the core competencies of Personal Awareness, Communication and Critical Thinking provides a greater depth to the sessions.
Centers allow multiple entry points to include something for everyone (a success story waiting to unfold). Each center is designed for active engagement in both the building/making aspect, as well as revealing self regulation, perseverance, resilience… (Personal Awareness Competency). Reflection during and afterwards is key to explicitly connect the maker mindset and language of the competencies (critical thinking, communication, personal awareness) in using “I can…” statements.
The following instructions are part of our growing number of centers. You can download each of the instructions to glue onto cards. (Some centers may require further supplies and these are listed by *.)
- Elenco Snap Circuits
- Graffiti Board (*wall or other vertical panel, coloured whiteboard pens, eraser)
- Keva Planks
- Lego Chutes Plus
- littleBits Coding (*needs a computer) [removed for repair]
- Sphero Sprk Robots (needs ipad) Charging instructions (Recommended 6-Port USB charger)
- LittleCodr cards (unplugged)
- Puzzles (*needs a variety of puzzles)
- Makey Makey (kit 1) (*need 2 computers, playdough, graphite from pencils)
- Makey Makey (kit 2) (*need 2 computers, playdough, graphite from pencils)
- Ollie (robot) (*needs ipad, borrow from DLRC)
- Pixel Art (unplugged) (*may need computer Excel spreadsheet)
- Code.org (online) (*needs computer)
- Crossy Road, LightBot, CargoBot, ScratchJr, Swift Playgrounds (*ipads with downloaded apps, need wifi)
- Garage Band (*need ipad)
NEW TO 2019/2020 YEAR
- Binary Code & Indigenous Loom Beading (ASCII Binary Code Table, box looms [*variety of colours of seed or pony beads, thread, long needles, E6000 glue, small amount of fabric covering ends, keychain rings]
- Kinetic Sand (*Kinetic Sand; large plastic tub with lid to hold sand and creation)
- Turin Tumble: build mechanical computers powered by marbles to solve logic puzzles
- Bloxels: create interactive stories that come alive as video games
- Circle Looms: create knitting weave patterns to create products (*bulky yarn)
More ADST ideas?
Check out our posts on this topic. Hover over and click for details.