It’s May, already?!

Wow! Time is flying at South Slope/BCSD.  April was Poetry Month and we had so much fun reading, writing and sharing poems.  We celebrated with a fabulous assembly and Poem in Your Pocket Day.

And now…it’s May! This month in the library we are recognizing and learning about Asian Heritage Month.  There are book displays for students to choose both fiction and non fiction reads about Asian Heritage:

This week several classes also read Eyes that Kiss in the Corners by Joanna Ho and illustrated by Dung Ho and  My Day with Gong Gong by Sennah Yee and illustrated by Elaine Chen .  Students responded to these books with joy and connection. Watch Joanna Ho read her book by clicking on the cover. And have fun with illustrator Elaine Chen by clicking on My Day with Gong Gong.

Explore our collection of digital resources about Asian Heritage Month including choice boards for primary and intermediate students:

What else is happening in the library this month?

Divisions 15 and 16 are working on their Stop Motion Animation films.  They have been learning how to use the Stop Motion app and creating short films with loose parts from our Story Studio.  This week they presented their final storyboards to the group and received feedback.  Now they will begin to create their films.  Stay tuned for more!

This week we also began our Canadian Picture Book of the Year readings. Each week we will read and respond to a new book.  When we are done, students will vote for their favourite.  Here are the books we will be reading.  Stay tuned for the winner!

Microbits are also in the library.  Grade 6/7 students from South Slope and BCSD have been learning how to write code for these mini computers.  We’ve been having fun learning how to code games like Rock, Paper, Scissors and send messages to each other using the radio.

Stay tuned for updates here and on my Twitter feed @jenparaujo

I Read Canadian Day – February 17th

Join us February 17th as we celebrate I Read Canadian Day.  Our school has registered and we will be reading Canadian books in the library and in our classrooms.  We are also inviting everyone to wear red and white or their Canada gear for this special day.

What is I Read Canadian Day?

GOAL: The purpose of this event is to raise awareness of Canadian books and celebrate the richness, diversity and breadth of Canadian literature.

WHEN: February 17th, 2021.

ACTION: We challenge the nation to “Read Canadian” for 15 minutes and to share their experience at their library, in their school, with their families and friends, or on social media Young people are encouraged to read, or be read to, a Canadian book of their choice.

Best Books of 2020

Well, it’s that time of year again! I love reading all the best books lists at the end of the year. It’s wonderful to see some of the books I have loved over the year and also find some new gems to add to the library.  If you’re looking to get some gifts for the holidays for the kids in your life or just looking for a great read, have a look at these fabulous lists.  If you are buying books, consider supporting local bookstores such as Kidsbooks.

First off, check out this great list by my colleague, Elaine Su:

If you’re looking for some great Canadian choices, try this list by the Globe and Mail:

School Library Journal and Kirkus Reviews also publish a comprehensive list with several categories to meet the needs of all kinds of readers:

Best Books of 2020

Hope you found something great to put on your list for 2020! Happy reading and please contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Drop Everything and Read

On Monday, Oct. 26th South Slope/BCSD participated in Drop Everything and Read (DEAR).  Everyone was invited to wear their PJs and we all read in our classrooms and around the school after lunch.  DEAR day is sponsored by the British Columbia Teacher Librarian’s Association (BCTLA) and we were one of many schools around the province who participated.  It was also National School Library Day and we celebrated that, too.  Many schools across the country have limited or no access to their school libraries and librarians due to COVID restrictions.  I feel blessed at South Slope/BCSD  to be part of a school community that has embraced the COVID protocols and that we are able to be able to provide access to the library for all our students.

Here are some memories of our fabulous day:

So much to be thankful for…

It’s hard to believe it’s Thanksgiving already.  I’m especially thankful that the library, with new safety protocols in place, is now open!  Students are visiting the library with their class once a week for story times, book exchanges and more.  Here is the current book exchange schedule:

Monday: Div 1, 2, 6

Tuesday: Div 3, 4, 5, 9

Wednesday: Div 13- 19

Thursday: Div. 7, 8, 20

During our storytimes we completed Peter Reynolds “creatrilogy” as we read “Ish” and “Sky Color”.  Classes also completed their response to our school wide read of “The Dot” with art and have created a gallery the whole school can enjoy.

Check our our gallery:

We also recognized Orange Shirt Day school wide with Project Heart and in the library:

Intermediate students have been learning how to use our Library Catalogue to find books and more.  There are Web Resources that students can access for school research or personal interest projects.  Students have also learned how to place books on hold and soon we will be adding student book reviews to the catalogue database.

As we begin the fall season, students have enjoyed one of my favourite books, “The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger.  There are beautiful paper collage illustrations throughout this wonderful book about fall and finding courage with the help of a friend.

For Thanskgiving, some classes read “Bear says Thanks” by Karma Wilson.  Students responded by sharing many things they are thankful for including family, friends, food, books and being at school.  During these pandemic times it can often be difficult to feel thankful, but the students reminded me of all the many things we can still be thankful for.  For me, having students in the library again and helping them finding the books they want has made me very thankful.  Their joy, curiousity and enthusiasm fill me up.

I wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving!

Mrs. Araujo

BPL Survey

Take the Burnaby Public Library survey

Families and students, let Burnaby Public Library know about the technology, creative tools and digital skills you need. Take a short survey online at https://www.bpl.bc.ca/survey? or visit the library and ask for a paper survey. The survey is anonymous. Your answers will help the library decide on activities and services and what it loans.

This week in the library…

This week the library, or rather the librarian (that’s me), will be visiting classrooms and reading “The Dot” by Peter Reynolds.  September 15th”ish”  is International Dot Day and we will be celebrating it by asking everyone to “Make your Mark” and “See where it takes you!” Everyone will create their own dot and we will display them in the hallway outside the gym.

Here are some of the Big Ideas we are exploring:

• Language and story can be a source of creativity and joy.
  • Everyone has a unique story to share.
  • Exploring stories and other texts helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world.
  • Texts can be understood from different perspectives.

Core Competencies we are developing:

• I can show a sense of accomplishment and joy.
  • I get new ideas or build on other people’s ideas.
  • I am kind to others.

Here are some videos of and about the book:

• Watch “The Dot” on Tumblebooks . Click on the link on at the top right hand side of the blog under “Links”.  In TumbleSearch, type in “The Dot”.
  • Watch author and illustrator, Peter Reynolds the story behind the story and how this book helped launch International Dot Day – a worldwide celebration of creativity.

Welcome Back!

Welcome back! I missed you and so did the library. I hope you all had a great summer and found some good books to read.  These are a few of the books I read this summer.  I highly recommend them. They can be checked out from our library soon.  There will be some changes in how we use the library this year.  Stay tuned for updates!

Summer 2020 Virtual Library

Well, this unusual year has now come to a close.  I hope you all have a wonderful summer and find time to rest and play.  Here is a “virtual library” for you to explore over the summer.  I hope you enjoy the activities and links for reading and more.  See you in September! 

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab