This term we explored and learned about photography. We wanted to know:
What is art? What is a good photo? How can we use photography to express ourselves and our idea?
We began by looking at photography in books and online to develop criteria about what we think makes a good photo. Here is our list:
- A feeling of being part of the photo. Environment is the focus.
- The photo tells a story
- Clear and in focus
- Blurred background
Each week we are taking photos inside and outside the school. Before we go out we are learning and discussing aspects of photography including aesthetics and composition. Some of the things we’ve talked about:
- Horizontal/Vertical Framing
- Focal Point/ Main Subject
- Point of View (PoV)/ camera angles
- Rule of 3rds
- Symmetry and asymmetry
The students are encouraged to choose a theme or subject every time they take photos. They are asked to choose a focal point and shoot from a number of POV. Most importantly, we always ask ourselves: What am I taking a picyture of and why?
When they come back to the library, students upload their pictures to the computers and then choose their best photos of the day to upload. Each week in Google Classroom, they have an assignment which includes choosing a few pictures and reflecting on what they learned, noticed and wonder. Students are also beginning to experiment with editing photos online.
Here are some of our early reflections:
- One thing I learned was you can switch to all sorts of modes for the photos. I noticed that it was very hard to hold the camera still. And I wonder if you once take your photo and upload it to your computer can you print it out with color?
- I learned that it is hard to make a contrast in the photos while still trying to keep the photos focused.
- I learned that the angle of the camera is very important; I noticed that the lights and surroundings are also important;I wonder how the pictures would look if we used different cameras, or take the photos with different… filters?
- I learned every picture has a story. I noticed taking a good picture isn’t easy.I wonder how does the photographer feel when they are taking the photos
- I noticed that it is harder to take (Good) photos than it looks. I learned that I should think outside of the box when doing photography. I wonder how to make the camera focus on just one object.
Here are our digital galleries. Enjoy!