Today students and staff at South Slope/BCSD begin the Reading Club. Every student and staff member at South Slope/ BCSD is automatically a member of the club. This year we want to continue to put the focus on recognition and reading for fun!
Your child received a new reading record form today. When the student completes this form, s/he returns the form to school and receives a new form.
Students will be recognized on a bulletin board in the school and at our assemblies. Students who complete 250 nights of reading before the end of June will have a book dedicated to them and placed in our school library.
Our goal this year is to Read for Fun! Research has shown that children who read for pleasure, read what they like and read often, do significantly better in school. Parents can help by encouraging their child to read every night (or be read to) for a minimum of 15 minutes and then sign the reading record form.
Thank you for helping your child develop a lifetime habit of reading! Please come and see Mrs. Araujo in the library if you have any questions or comments.
Next week the Scholastic Book Fair will be back in the library.
Dates: Monday, September 21 – Thursday September 24
Times: Open at Lunch, Recess and After School. We will also be open during parent-teacher interviews on Tuesday and Thursday.
Check the notices sent home and posters around the school for more details.
At least 50% of all sales will go towards resources for your school library. Parent volunteers are needed! Please sign up just out side the library or speak to Mrs. Araujo for more details.
Hope to see you there!
Welcome back to another exciting school year! I hope you all had a wonderful summer and read some great books. Here is some of the reading I did:
The library program has some exciting opportunities in store for your child this year:
• Our curriculum will be promoting the very best of children’s literature to your child with activities designed to help students enjoy the stories even more.
• We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) your children “hooked on reading” by recommending specific reading materials to each individual.
• At each grade level, students will be learning information literacy skills specifically suited to their developmental needs.
• The iPads will continue to be used for learning and exciting new projects! We have 24 iPads for students to use.
• We have a lot of special events being planned: author visits, DEAR day, book fairs, Literacy Week, the home reading club, and more!
• If you would like to volunteer to help in the library, please let me know. We’d love to have you.
Scholastic Book Fair: Monday, September 21st until thursday, September 24th. Parent volunteers are needed. Please see me in the library or look for the sign up sheet on the library bulletin board soon.
Reading Club: Our reading club begins again on September 28th. Notices will go home the week prior. I encourage all families to make reading for pleasure a part of your day, every day.
Check out the library blog for more information and updates throughout the year. You can access it from the school website under the library tab or go to: http://goo.gl/PPPXu
Use your smartphone to find us too! (A great app for scanning QR codes is i-nigma)
Questions? Comments? Please come and see me in the library. I’m looking forward to an exciting year!
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!