PENNYDROPS: An SFU Club for Financial Literacy

Initially starting as a pilot project at McGill University, PennyDrops partnered with the Bank of Montreal to deliver the program to 88 high school students in its first semester.
Today, PennyDrops is a mature, coast-to-coast organisation, with 19 chapters (the newest one being SFU) spanning from Vancouver to Halifax.
We are also currently deepening partnerships with organisations such as Pathways to Education and I Love First Peoples, to make this program more accessible to underserved regions and marginalised demographics.
PennyDrops recently launched a program, PennyDrops Anywhere, which is what I wanted to tell you about today.
It is an online platform where high school students can participate in lessons such as Mindful Spending, Banking 101, Savings, Credit, and my current favourite one fitting for February, Taxes.
On the site there are interactive activities for students to apply their new concepts and skills, as well as offer student progress reports for teachers.
Financial Literacy is education I hold closely to my heart, as this is so essential when it comes to things like saving up for post-secondary or being able to make informed financial decisions during, or after high school.
A lot of my post-secondary planning was actually a combination of advice and observations from so many of the staff, so I really thought of Moscrop as a place where PennyDrops Anywhere would benefit many students.
Acknowledging that Moscrop is a bilingual school, we also offer this program in French as PennyDrops is Quebec-based 🙂
Visit the website for more information: