The Youth Train in Trades and Youth Work in Trades programs are open to students in Grade 11 or 12. All programs include a combination of course work and work experience leading to graduation and recognized industry certification.
All programs are considered “Dual-Credit” Programs, as students receive graduation credits, PLUS Industry credits. Students will also acquire Work-Based Training hours credited towards apprenticeship requirements.
If you are interested in applying for any of the programs below, you should attend the Information Evening in January (Date TBA) at Burnaby Central Secondary School. You should also submit a completed Application Package to the Moscrop Career Centre in Room 313. Students will also go through an interview with the Career & Transitions Program Consultant and teacher. More information is available on the Career Programs blog, here.
YOUTH TRAIN IN TRADES (formerly Ace-It) – Thousands of job openings are expected in the skilled trades in coming years with high employment opportunities and great earning potential, offering diverse work in a variety of industries.
- Automotive Collision Repair Technician (VCC)
- Auto Refinishing Prep Technician (VCC)
- Automotive Service Technician (Cariboo Hill Secondary)
- Baker (Pastry Arts) (VCC)
- Cabinet Maker & Joiner
- Carpenter (Cariboo Hill)
- Construction Electrician (Burnaby Mountain Secondary)
- Hairstylist *2 years (Alpha Secondary)
- Metal Fabricator (BCIT)
- Painter & Decorator (Commercial) (Finishing Trades Institute)
- Pipefitter (Annacis Island)
- Plumber (Annacis Island)
- Professional Cook (Burnaby Central Secondary)
- Computer Networking Technician (Burnaby South Secondary)
- Fitness Instructor (Burnaby South Secondary)
- Cisco Networking Academy
- Fitness Leadership Instructor
- Tourism & Event Management
- Microsoft Office Specialist
- Palo Alto Cyber Security Academy
INDUSTRY CONNECT – These options provide the opportunity to develop a portfolio of skills and samples of work for entry into post secondary and industry.
- Digipen Gaming Academy
- Film & Broadcast
- Graphics/Media Arts
- Health Sciences
- Music Production & Technology
- Robotics (Mechatronics)