The Burnaby Teachers’ Association is awarding 2 scholarships to students on the basis of:
- scholarship, citizenship, and need.
- That the scholarship be paid when the recipient enters full-time attendance at a post-secondary school. Part-time attendance may be approved after Executive Council review.
- each recipent be a student in a Burnaby school for at least one year.
Students have up to five years to register for post-secondary and claim the award.
2 x $750
In print or by email by UPDATED Wednesday May 10, 2023 by 3pm.
Complete applications below and submit to due to Ms. Mihic by email or in print by 3pm that day. Late applications will NOT be accepted.
Scholarships are funded by the dues of BCGEU members. You are eligible if you are related to a current, retired or deceased BCGEU (BC Government Service and Employees Union) member or staff; and are a student or prospective post-secondary or higher learning student enrolled, registered or planning to attend an eligible educational institution in 2023.
multiple @ $2,000 (full-time students) and $1,000 (part-time students)
online by midnight Sunday April 16, 2023.
In addition to applying online here, applicants must submit a short essay of 450 – 500 words in response to one of the following topics for their essay:
- Workplace health and safety is a core value of the labour movement. What role do unions play to ensure the health and safety of workers? How has health and safety in the workplace evolved?
- Describe a protest you have seen or taken part in and the positive ways it has changed your perspective, your life or your community.
- If you were a leader in a position of power, what steps would you take to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People and who would you involve?
- How has the rising cost of inflation affected your community? Has it impacted your ability to seek a higher education? How? What part do unions play to address the rising cost of living?
- What challenges have you faced in your life that led you to seek higher education? What helped you on this journey? What other resources would support this goal?
More details @ https://www.bcgeu.ca/scholarships