The University of Toronto National Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate superior academic performance, original and creative thought, and exceptional performance in a broad context. The nominee must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person, intending to begin university (though not necessarily at the U of T) study in September 2024. Approximately fifteen students are selected as National Scholars (winners) and ten are named Arbor Scholars (runners-up). Additional criteria:
- an original and creative thinker
- committed to school and community
- a high achiever in academic and creative pursuits
- enthusiastic about learning and intellectual exploration
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- currently in your final year of Canadian secondary school
- intending to begin university the following academic year
- a National Book Award nominee or self-identify as meeting the criteria above
The National Scholarship covers tuition, incidental and residence fees for up to four years of study. Finalists not designated as National Scholars receive Arbor Scholarships at a value of $7,500 in the first year and $1,500 per year for three additional years of undergraduate study. The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto.
Resume and cover letter due to Ms. Mihic by Thursday, October 11th, students will be informed shortly after and encouraged to submit applications by October 19, 2023 (11:59pm EDT)
- Submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your acedemics and future goals to Ms. Mihic by email or in Student Services by Thursday, October 11th highlighting above mentioned criteria.
- Students who have been nominated by their schools as National Book Award recipients may submit applications to the National Scholarship Program. In addition, students who identify themselves as meeting the scholarship criteria are invited to apply directly for the National Scholarship, without having been nominated for the Book Award.
Students must submit an online application form in order to be considered for the National Scholarship.