The University of Toronto National Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate superior academic performance, original and creative thought, and exceptional performance in a broad context. The nominee must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person, intending to begin university (though not necessarily at the U of T) study in September 2024. Approximately fifteen students are selected as National Scholars (winners) and ten are named Arbor Scholars (runners-up). Additional criteria:
- an original and creative thinker
- committed to school and community
- a high achiever in academic and creative pursuits
- enthusiastic about learning and intellectual exploration
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- currently in your final year of Canadian secondary school
- intending to begin university the following academic year
- a National Book Award nominee or self-identify as meeting the criteria above
The National Scholarship covers tuition, incidental and residence fees for up to four years of study. Finalists not designated as National Scholars receive Arbor Scholarships at a value of $7,500 in the first year and $1,500 per year for three additional years of undergraduate study. The scholarship is tenable only at the University of Toronto.
Resume and cover letter due to Ms. Mihic by Thursday, October 11th, students will be informed shortly after and encouraged to submit applications by October 19, 2023 (11:59pm EDT)
- Submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your acedemics and future goals to Ms. Mihic by email or in Student Services by Thursday, October 11th highlighting above mentioned criteria.
- Students who have been nominated by their schools as National Book Award recipients may submit applications to the National Scholarship Program. In addition, students who identify themselves as meeting the scholarship criteria are invited to apply directly for the National Scholarship, without having been nominated for the Book Award.
Students must submit an online application form in order to be considered for the National Scholarship.
This scholarship will be awarded on the basis of character determined by the evaluation of a 500-1000 word essay based on the following question:
When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey?
More details can be found here.
Submit essay to: by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no application packet for this award. Please do not include your resume at this time. Be sure to include your full name as well as the name of the school you are attending this year and your plans for next year.
by EMAIL October 8, 2023.
This is highly prestigious scholarship focuses on character, service, and leadership. Please refer to their website in Procedures for more information.
The Loran Award is one of the country’s most comprehensive merit-based undergraduate awards, valued at $100,000 over four years. There is a single application process where students apply to a direct pool of applicants.
All successful applicants must be well-rounded students who present a minimum 85% cumulative average and demonstrate character, promise of leadership and strong commitment to service in the community. Must be a Canadian citizen or have residency status. This scholarship can only be used for a specific number of Canadian universities.
Renewable for up to four years, with a total value of $100,000, each Loran Award includes:
- An annual stipend of $10,000
- A matching tuition waiver from one of 25 partner universities
- Personal mentorship from a Canadian leader
- Access to our network and up to $14,000 in funding for summer work experiences in three different sectors
- An orientation expedition through Algonquin Park
- Annual retreats and scholar gatherings
Also grants up to 118 finalist and provincial awards to promising candidates who are not selected as Loran Scholars.
Wednesday, October 11th before 8:00pm EST
All eligible students are welcome to apply by filling out the application, uploading a transcript, and naming a reference. There is no limit to the number of students who may apply from a single school.
Visit www.loranaward.ca to complete the application online. NOW OPEN!