Ten scholarships are awarded each year to students who face significant financial barriers to participation in post-secondary education. This may include students who identify as Indigenous, Black, or a person of colour, students living with disabilities, LGBTQIA2S+ students, and students of all gender identities. The intent of the Uggla Family Scholarship is to promote equity and remove historical and existing discrimination, including barriers to full participation in social, cultural, economic and political life.
Available to domestic (Canadian) students admitted for the fall term to any undergraduate degree.
10 x full SFU program costs
You will receive funding for each term of your academic program as long as you meet and maintain scholarship renewal criteria, such as minimum course enrollment, minimum academic standing, and scholars program involvement.
ONLINE by January 22, 2024
The following provides a summary of what you can expect to complete as part of the Uggla Family Scholarship application:
- Financial need assessment (family income disclosure)
- A written statement (250 words max) about your academic potential and goals
- An explanation of your achievements and contributions (250 words max)
- A short essay sharing your future goals and how these goals have been informed by your personal experiences (750 words)
- Letters of support:
- Two letters of support from individuals (not family members) who can comment on your personal qualities and experiences. These individuals must have direct knowledge of information you discussed in your application, such as your academic accomplishments, extra-curricular activities, work, volunteer, or personal achievements.
- In lieu of one letter of support, you may choose to include a supporting
document, such as (but not limited to) a certificate of appreciation, media story or community publication.
Your application materials will be reviewed by members of the admissions department of SFU, as well as members of the Uggla Family and Trustees of the Uggla Family Foundation who reside outside of Canada.
Application and information at: https://www.sfu.ca/students/admission/fees-scholarships/uggla.html#faq01