Core Competencies

Core competencies are recognizable through the actions, activities and thinking routines. They are strength-based.  Starting with an activity such as listing “I can…” may provide opportunties for students to share what they feel they do well. Brainstorming as a class may help to jog memory. Connecting language to the “I can…” is the responsibility of the teacher. Use opportunities throughout a day to offer the language of core competencies and attach it to real examples of the student. Eg. “I noticed when you did this, you showed… That’s called critical thinking.” 

This process is a journey and will take quite a bit of time. There is no right/wrong answer, just naming and identifying some connections. The self assessment can look any way that the student wishes. Digital formats allow for wider breadth of opportunties of student voice (audio, video, image-although image can be paper based too). 

RESOURCES you may wish: 

All Core Competencies are in .docx file for editing use: Personal Awareness, Positive Identity, Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Communication

Using Single Point Rubrics: 

Self-reflection using the language of the core competencies may need an organizational structure to continue the story. First steps may include a “notice and name” process. Later perhaps something like a single-point rubric might help guide the dialogue.  These were meant merely as guides (students might delete what is unnecessary) to support an ongoing reflective conversation (starting with “I can…”). This can take many forms, not just in written context. Consider visual, audio, video or other means.