Gung Hay Fat Choy! Happy Lunar New Year!

Gung Hay Fat Choy! Today is Lunar New Year so this week in the library, we’ll be focussing on Chinese culture and literature. For the Intermediates, I’ll be promoting books by authors of Chinese descent and books that are about Chinese culture or history. One new book by a Canadian author, B.L. Sauder is Year of the Golden Dragon , an adventure and mystery story.  A couple of my favourites are White Jade Tiger by Julie Lawson and The bone collector’s son by Paul Yee which touch upon the role of Chinese-Canadians in our province’s history. I’ll also be showing the Intermediate classes pictures from the 2011 Harbin International Ice Festival as it is similar to the ice festival held in Quebec. Because it is the year of the Dragon, I’ll be reading a humourous picturebook titled East Dragon, West Dragon by Robyn Eversole which explains the differences between dragons from Western culture and Eastern culture. Some classes may also enjoy using the tangrams as I read the book, Grandfather Tang’s Story, a tale told with tangrams by Ann Tompert.