What is Reading Buddies?
Reading Buddies is a program where teens and children are paired up for one-on-one reading in a safe, fun and friendly environment. The goals of this program are to provide children with extra reading practice and to provide teens with leadership skills and community involvement. Hours worked at Reading Buddies can be put towards the community service hours requirement for graduation.Teens must be entering grade 9, 10, 11 or 12.
The McGill Branch Library, 4595 Albert Street
Every Thursday, July 5 – August 2
The program runs from 3:45 to 4:45 pm. Teens are expected/required to be at the library from 3:30 to 5 pm.
What qualifications do I need to be a Reading Buddy?
* Entering grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 in September
* Patience and enthusiasm
* Strong English-language skills and an ability to communicate well
* A willingness to work and cooperate with fellow teens and coordinators
* Must be available for all five sessions of the program
* Resident of Burnaby (No residents of other municipalities will be accepted)
Will I be trained as a Reading Buddy?
* A basic orientation will be provided by the library (ongoing training may be given at each session)
How do I apply?
* Application form: Please print out the teen application form, fill it in and drop it off at your local BPL branch .
* Deadline for application: Your application must be received by Friday, June 8th. Apply early!
* Interview: You will be invited to a short, informal interview at the library on Saturday, June 16th from 11 – 1 pm. This is an opportunity for us to meet you and answer any questions you may have.
* Criminal record check: If you interview successfully, you will need to obtain a criminal record check at your local RCMP detachment. More information will be provided at the interview.