UBC Admissions Update!!

There is a lot happening in the month of March for all of you, so here are a few items to help with the pouring of questions coming in 🙂

Self-reporting is now open for BC

The link to “Self-Reporting” is now available on the Student Service Centre. I know some of you are really keen to tell us your grades (we know this because some of you have accessed the self-reporting link while we were still testing the system over the weekend).

But wait, there’s more….

Once you click “submit” you cannot go back to change what you reported. So before you hit the “submit” button, take some time to read below:

Do I have to submit my grades through self-reporting?

YES. Everyone who is attending a school following the BC/Yukon school curriculum (except IB diploma) needs to submit their grades online in order for us to evaluate your application.

What grades am I reporting?

You can only submit grades that appear on two official documents: Your Ministry portal or your spring report card (if you receive one before April 8).

What if I don’t receive a report card before April 8?

Not everyone will receive a spring report card before self-reporting closes on April 8. We know this. It means you are likely in a semestered school system. You can self-report as early as March 4 because you don’t have to wait for a report card and you will submit the grades you see on your Ministry portal. It is important that you list the courses that you are currently taking and leave the grade fields blank.

What if I receive a report card on April 4?

WAIT to submit your grades. If you will receive a report card before April 8, please wait until you have your report card to enter your report card grades for in-progress courses. Please do not “submit” your grades before you receive your report card; you will not be able to go back to make changes once you click “submit” so don’t click “submit” too early or you will miss reporting your interim grades.

I’m taking online courses – what do I do?

If you have completed an online course, submit the final grade you see on your Ministry Portal. If you are currently taking an online course then please list the course name and leave the grade field blank. Then, contact the online school that you are working with and request that they submit your in-progress grade to the Ministry of Education.

Why can’t I access the self-reporting link?

If we are missing documents that show us that you meet the English Language Admission Standard then you will not have access to self-reporting until the requirement is met. As we continue to process documents, we will update your file and contact you to self-report your grades. If you have questions or experience challenges, please contact us.

When will I hear back with a decision from UBC?

Once we receive your grades we will begin an evaluation of your academic and personal profiles and we will notify you as soon as we make a decision. We will continue to make decisions through March, April, and May. Continue to check the Student Service Centre  for updates.

Thanks for reading this far if you’ve managed to do so – I’ll keep you posted on things that come up during the self-reporting period and will do my best to respond to your questions as quickly as I can.

Rolling Offers of Admissions

What the heck is “rolling admissions”?

We evaluate applications as they become complete. Applications become complete as we receive grades and other information from applicants. We receive grades at different times depending on your school system. With 33,000 applications to evaluate, we just can’t evaluate everyone’s application at the same time so we spread evaluations out based on when we receive your information.

For some of you, we evaluated your application in January and February as your grade information arrived.  Now, we will begin receiving grade information from our BC/Yukon applicants and decisions will roll out in March, in April, and in May. We use the same admissions criteria for everyone when files are complete. If you meet our admissions criteria in May, we will send you an offer of admission just as we would for those who met the same admissions criteria on information we received in January or February.

And that’s just how we roll (c’mon, you saw that one coming).

Don't forget, spring break is an excellent time to visit UBC and some additional campus tours have been added to the calendar to accommodate student interest.