Who are we?                             

Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) in Burnaby Schools assess and treat communication disorders.  These may include articulation, language, stuttering, social communication difficulties, and augmentative communication needs.

Who do we support?

Students with identified communication difficulties or suspected communication difficulties.

Who do we work with in schools?

SLPs consult and collaborate with:

  • school based teams
  • classroom teachers
  • educational assistants
  • learning support teachers
  • parents/caregivers
  • other professionals in the community

What does our year look like?

September and October – Setting up caseloads in schools

 October to May – Providing speech & language assessment and intervention

 June – Reporting, preschool observations and home programming

Goals-Driven Service

Intervention for communication difficulties in Burnaby Schools is goals-driven.  SLPs support students who have Individual Educational Plans (IEPs) with communication-related goals and objectives.  SLPs also support students who do not have IEPs with their speech & language goals.

Services are delivered in a variety of ways:

  • assessments
  • direct therapy on an individual or group basis
  • in class support
  • consultation/collaboration with school personnel and parents
  • development of home programs

How do we support Speech & Language /  Communication goals?

Speech and Language services are delivered in a variety of ways.  SLPs support students by:

  • evaluating students suspected of having speech and/or language and communication difficulties
  • providing individual and group therapy to students
  • planning, developing and providing services, materials, and equipment to best meet the needs of individual students
  • providing instruction and materials to teachers and educational assistants
  • participating in IEP planning and program development
  • providing professional development and workshops for district staff and parents
  • liaising with community agencies

How can you contact us?

The best way to contact us is through email or through your child’s school.  Here are our school assignments for the 2023/2024 school year.