Home of Book Beast Readers

A Day with Yayah

Hi Everyone,

Today’s story, A Day With Yayah by Nicola I. Campbell, illustrated by Julie Flett, is about a First Nations family that goes on a walk to gather plants to eat. Yayah, the grandmother, explains everything she knows about the world and all the living things around them as the family walks together.

As you listen, take note: Does Yayah talk about any plants that you already know? Are there some plants that you’ve never heard of before? Have you eaten any of the plants that Yayah talks about? **Very important – never eat anything from nature without knowing what it is and asking an adult first!**

This story reminds me of the salmonberry bushes in the trails near my house. As I walk with my family, we always look for the ripe salmonberries so we can have a juicy snack!

Enjoy the story below.

Mrs. Roberts

2 Comments

1. Ms. Tsumori

Thank you for sharing this read aloud! It’s such a wonderful book for us to listen to and it is so connected to what we are learning.

2. Ava Lee

Hi Ms. Roberts

I like a day with Yayah. It was interesting.I did not know there was such thing as lightning mushrooms.