There are 55 BC Excellence Scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. Winners will have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and shown aptitude and commitment to their chosen career paths. They will receive a $5000 scholarship voucher to use for post-secondary tuition.
Nomination and Application
- You must be nominated by your secondary school in order to apply for this scholarship. Only one student from each school may be nominated. Please inquire at your school if you would like to be considered for nomination. You must confirm your nomination by having your school principal sign and date the BC Excellence Nomination Form.
- Complete the Application. The application includes a written statement worth 60% overall, and the resume worth 40% overall. It must be completed online in the mandatory format. Scoring guides (PDF) are available for reference. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Completed applications must be submitted to the Ministry no later than February 15, 2019.
- Selection of winners will be finalized after August 31, 2019.
- Meet basic eligibility requirements
- Be in their graduation year with graduation to occur by August 31 of the school year in which they are nominated
- Be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) and fulfill graduation requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program (2018) by August 31, 2019
- Have at least a:
- “B” (73% or above) in their Language Arts 11 final mark
- “B” average in final course marks that fulfill graduation requirements of Science 11 or 12, Math 11 and Social Studies 11 or 12, with no more than one “C+” (67% or above) final course mark, (marks lower than “C+” are not accepted)
- Maintain a “B” average or better in Grades 11 and 12 final course marks required for graduation
- Write and pass a Language Arts 12 provincial examination
You cannot win both a BC Excellence Scholarship and a Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship.
Your application must include:
- Resume in the mandatory format
- Two reference letters, one from your community and one from your school
- A written statement, maximum 500 words, which must describe:
- What led you to your most relevant community service, volunteer activity, and/or leadership role, and
- What you learned from this experience, and
- How this experience will benefit you in your chosen career path.
Conditional winners and their schools will be notified by email in May. Winners will be notified directly in September when eligibility is confirmed. They must redeem their voucher within 5 years of graduation. Expiry dates are shown on the vouchers.
Please note that each school is permitted to submit ONE application. Therefore, your application is due to Ms. Falsetto and the Byrne Creek Scholarship Committee on Friday, February 8th. Once you are shortlisted, the official application is due on Friday, February 15th.