Dare to make a difference.
Become a Loran Scholar.
Commit to creating positive change.
Valued at up to $100,000, the Loran Award includes study at one of the partnered universities, summer internships, mentorship and a community of supporters and alumni working towards a better country and world.
Byrne Creek can sponsor up to three candidates. If you are not selected to be sponsored, you are encouraged to apply into the Direct Pool (details below).
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be sponsored by Byrne Creek, please respond to the questions listed below. You must submit these responses to Ms. Falsetto and the Byrne Creek Scholarship Committee before Wednesday, October 10th, 2018. You will be notified the following day if you are sponsored.
Please recognize that your full sponsored application is due to https://apply.loranscholar.ca/candidate_profiles/new on Wednesday, October 17th.
- Describe what you consider to be your most significant volunteer contribution to date in terms of its value to your school or larger community. Why was it important to you and others?
- Describe a time you challenged yourself by taking on a task/project you felt was beyond your scope and capability at the time. Why did you do it? What happened?
3A) Please list up to three significant leadership roles where you were responsible for organizing a group of people in order to achieve a common goal or task.
3B) Choose the leadership role above that was the most challenging for you. What goal did you establish with your group? Describe the steps you took to reach your goal. What difficulties did you face with the group, and how did you resolve them? Whether or not you reached your goal, tell us what you learned about yourself and others in the process.
- Describe a time when you took the initiative to address an unmet need at school or in the community. What was the need and what steps did you take? What were the results of your actions?
What Loran Looks For: As you know, the selection criteria involves character, service and leadership. They are looking for young people who deeply value honesty, are curious by nature and are interested in a wide range of subjects. The scholars selected are willing to take meaningful risks and prioritize results over appearances. Each one has shown a sustained commitment to service in the community, has taken the initiative to create positive changes and is interested in working for a better world.
Direct Pool: If more than three students are interested in applying, other students are encouraged to apply to the direct pool. Loran understands that there are sometimes more qualified candidates than there are sponsorship spots, and offer the direct pool process for this reason. Although sponsored candidates have historically received more provincial awards and honour citations, Loran Scholars are selected through both application processes.
Eligibility criteria for high school students
- Be in their final year of uninterrupted full- time studies in high school.
- Present a minimum cumulative average of 85%.
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Must be 16 years of age or older as of September 1st, 2019.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Our Awards
- How To Apply
- FAQs for Applicants
- FAQs for Schools
- Regional Committees
October 17: Deadline for all sponsored applications to be submitted
October 24: Deadline for all direct pool applications to be submitted
Fun fact: Byrne Creek’s Nazampal Jaswal (Grad 2010) won a $70,000 Loran Scholarship!
Go to www.loranscholar.ca for more information.
See Ms. Falsetto, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or check Twitter @MsFalsettoByrne with any questions.
Best wishes always,