Brain Breaks

During my time as a classroom teacher, it was extremely important to offer my students breaks during our activities.  For example, after sitting and listening to a story, during a writing activity, or when changing from one activity to another.  As adults we recognize our own need to take breaks from a task, especially if we have been sitting for a long time.

As we continue to adapt to our new learning environment, children may need frequent breaks to reset and re-energize.  They may need calm or to rest their brain from a difficult task.  Sometimes they may need a few breaks during one activity.  Whatever the case may be, we can support them by providing a variety of activities and strategies to allow their brains and bodies to feel more settled.

This choice board offers several brain break options for children (and adults!) to try.  As adults, we can first help children identify why they may need a break, as described at the top of the board.  Following the choice board is a read aloud by author, Susan Verde.  Her book, I Am Peace, can be a way for children to take a break and learn strategies for relaxation.  It is my hope that these choices will support your child when learning at home, and when we are together again at school.

Please click on the image to access the choice board and the website links for brain break suggestions.