Social Justice and Black Lives Matter virtual library

This document was created by a group of educators to develop awareness of diversity, human rights, and inclusion in connection with the Black Lives Matter movement.  Thank you to Mrs. Martone for sharing this resource.  When you go to the document, click on a book to listen to the story.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Burnaby Public Library Summer Reading Club

This year the Burnaby Public Library is moving their Summer Reading Club online.  Visit their website here to find out how to sign up!  You can also find a list of book recommendations here and you can still borrow books using their paper back pickup service.

For our Grade 7 students, the Teen Reading Club is also available.  Find out more by clicking on the image below.

I know this summer will be different than we are used to, but we can all still enjoy reading and spending time with stories!  Happy Summer Reading!

Hair Love

Today we have a beautiful story that celebrates love and father-daughter relationships.  Zuri has hair that has a mind of its own and as hard as she tries, she just cannot get it to do what she wants.  It’s up to her dad to help give her the hairstyle she wants!

Watch the animated short film that won an Oscar award, which is a special award given to outstanding work in movies.  Then click on the book cover image to listen to the story read aloud.

Read Aloud with Mrs. Good – #7

Hello Stoney Creek Community!

This will be my last read aloud of the school year and I have enjoyed continuing to be able to share stories with you even though we cannot be together in the library.  I hope you have enjoyed my book choices as much as I have enjoyed reading them to you.  Thank you for listening and my last pick is Pink is for Boys.  Hop on over to my Read Aloud page and let’s celebrate all the colours and everyone’s right to enjoy whichever colours they want!  What is your favourite colour?

Indigenous Peoples Month and Indigenous Peoples Day

June 1st marked the beginning of Indigenous Peoples Month and Indigenous Peoples Day will be observed and celebrated on June 21st.  Listen and/or read along to this selection of stories and books to learn about Indigenous traditions, culture, and history.

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Words Writing Project

The Words Writing Project in our school district is a yearly event that invites students around Burnaby to write and submit an original story or poem for a chance to have their work featured in an anthology, a collection of writing.

This year a Stoney Creek student has her poem featured in the Words writing collection!  Click on the image below to read a variety of stories and poems from students around the Burnaby School District, and please enjoy the beautiful imagery in this poem by Breana in Division 3.

You Matter

Right now there are millions of people and their supporters using their voices to tell the world how much they matter.  They are using their voices for change and to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and equally.

Here is a story by author and illustrator, Christian Robinson, who reads his book, You Matter, in the video.  Listen carefully at the beginning of the video as he talks about why he wrote this book.

Christian Robinson has a series called “Making Space”.  In these videos he works in his making space to lead viewers in art projects and to talk about books.  This next video is about friendship.  Have fun and be creative!

Read Aloud with Mrs. Good – #6

Today marks the beginning of Pride Month and it is a time to celebrate love, acceptance, diversity, all types of families, and including others.  Pop over to my Read Aloud page to listen to me read the story, Mary Wears What She Wants.  This is the story of a young Mary Edwards Walker who lived in the 1800s.  She just wanted to wear what made her comfortable, but it was a difficult journey to be able to do so.  How would you feel if you were told you could only wear certain clothing and not allowed to wear others?  You can learn more about Mary and her efforts to wear what she wanted in this video.

June is Pride Month

I have created a choice board to listen to stories that celebrate people being able to be who they are, to wear what they choose, and to love who they love.

Read Aloud with Mrs. Good – #5

Sometimes when we think about making art, we think of using materials like paper, paints, felts, and crayons.  But what about using materials found in nature?  Let’s on an outdoor art adventure in this week’s read aloud, Anywhere Artist.  After listening to me read the book, head outside and see what you can create using your imagination and the materials you find.

To help inspire you, here are some examples of the mandala art created by artist, James Brunt.  He uses materials such as rocks, leaves, and sticks to create circular works of art.

Source: thisiscolossal.com

Lately he has been using materials he finds around his house to create art when he has to stay at home, like us.  He used his mom’s button collection for this work of art!

Source: Twitter

Source: Twitter

And here he used screws.

When Fall comes, how about some leaf animal art?

Source: Twitter