What is a School Counsellor?
Certified Teachers who have specialized training in Counselling Psychology, focused in the areas of individual and group counselling, adolescent development and mental health issues.
Burnaby Central Counsellors:
|A – How||Rosa Westinghouse|
|Hoy-Mam/ Indigenous students||Becky Lawrence|
|Tr-Z/International students||David Katsionis|
What does a Secondary School Counsellor Do?
School counsellors provide a confidential safe non-judgmental environment where a therapeutic relationship can be formed to facilitate emotional healing, empowerment toward positive change, development of coping strategies, and awareness of developmental issues. Academic and career counselling is also an integral role of the school counsellor, this includes reviewing graduation and post-secondary requirements in addition to consulting with teachers, administrative staff and other professionals to best support student needs.
School Counsellors can help students with Life Issues such as:
▪ Anxiety, depression and other mental health concerns
▪ Stress management, decision making and problem solving
▪ Resolving problems arising from difficulties related to class and/or school routines
▪ Self-harm/Suicide Ideation
▪ Interpersonal issues
▪ Grief and Loss
▪ Assertiveness and Conflict Resolution/Mediation
▪ Sexual Identity
▪ Internet safety
▪ Bullying and Peer Pressure
▪ Family Relationships
▪ Substance Use
▪ Developing effective communication skills
Academic & Career Counselling:
▪ Providing information on graduation requirements
▪ Course planning leading to graduation & post-secondary education
▪ Understand school curriculum, courses and services
▪ Monitoring student progress through interim reports
▪ Understanding educational strengths, challenges and needs of students
▪ Assist with alternative educational courses/program placements
▪ Arranging assistance for students experiencing academic difficulties.
▪ Provide scholarship information and applications
How can I contact my school counsellor?
- Students can drop by their counsellor’s office to talk. If the counsellor is not available, students are able to use the sign-up sheet on the office door and the counsellor will locate them. If it’s an emergency, contact any counsellor in the office for help.
- Parents can phone or email their son or daughter’s counsellor to make an appointment.
*Counsellors liaise with Teachers, Administrative Staff and other professionals to best support students in school.*