Continuing Learning During A Pandemic

In the face of these unusual, once-in-a-career type challenges we are facing, I encourage all teachers to keep calm and go slowly. My best advice…think about what you would like your students to learn that are the essential components of the year/course. Then devise a learning plan, and cut it in half. In these extraordinary circumstances, we must be realistic in our expectations, and especially attentive to issues of equity. Who has support at home? Who has access to digital learning? What can we do to support our most vulnerable learners?

Shut The Box is an adding fluency game.

I have put together a document with some starting places for distance learning. You will notice on that list that both Nelson and Pearson have opened up their on-line resources for free. We also have Zorbits –primary math on-line–offering free accounts for parents and teachers. I offer these with some reserve, because now is not the time to increase your cognitive load as teachers to use new resources. This is a menu of items, but just choose the one or two that work for you to enhance your practice.

Please contact me, through school e-mail at Donna.Morgan@burnabyschools.ca or through my phone (number available via Inside41 directory) if you have questions. Follow me on twitter @DonnaMorgan8 for daily activities (like Shut the Box at left) and updates.

I will be trying to upgrade and improve this blog to help you more. Let me know what you would like!

Gauss/Mirzakhani/Abel

Our Elementary math contests are still scheduled to go ahead as usual…although if there is no school in May, I will find an alternate format for the Mirzakhani and Abel. The CEMC will make a decision about the Gauss by mid-April. So unfortunately I will continue to nag schools for their order numbers in the meantime.

Stay Safe.

-Donna