Question: Should I take science classes in summer school?

Answer:

Science classes taken over summer school are designed to be intense and often condense a lot of material into a short amount of time. Unfortunately lab experiences are often cut out due to the short amount of class time available in a summer course. Students wanting to fully develop their lab skills are encouraged to take science course in a regular format. Students wanting to follow an AP Sciences pathway should be aware that students who have completed a regularly scheduled course may have priority if space is limited in applying to a grade 11 Honours course (step 1 in the AP Pathway).

Question: I want to take AP Biology 12. What courses should I take?

Answer:

Students should apply to Life Sciences 11 Honours in order to take the AP Biology 12 course the next year. The AP Biology program is designed to cover two years of learning, the pathway begins in Life Sciences 11 H and continues into AP Biology 12 the following year?

Question:
I want to take AP Chemistry 12. What courses should I take?

Answer:
Students should apply to take Chemistry 11 H in advance of AP Chemistry 12.

Question: I want to take AP Physics courses. Are both AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 recommended to pursue sciences in university?

Answer:

For admission to Science and Engineering programs in Canadian Universities, Physics 11 and 12 are required.

To complete the Canadian University requirement through an AP pathway, students should plan to take Physics 11 Honours followed by Physics AP-1. This is a two year pathway that ensures students get credit for Physics 11, Physics AP-1 AND Physics 12.

Physics AP-2 is not equivalent to Physics 12, but serves as enrichment, offering enthusiastic Physics students more breadth (additional topics) and opportunity for deeper inquiry and research.

In order to take Physics AP-2, students may take either of the following pathways:

Physics 11H –> Physics AP-1 –> Physics AP-2 or
Physics 11H –> Physics 12 –> Physics AP-2 or
Physics 11 –> Physics 12 –> Physics AP-2

Students may also enroll in Physics AP-2 while taking Physics 12 or Physics AP-1 at the same time

NOTE:
Physics AP-1 and AP-2 do not exempt Science and Engineering majors from taking first year calculus based Physics courses. Nonetheless, the breadth and depth of the AP Physics program provides students a strong foundation in physics theory and practice, preparing them well for future studies.

Students who major in subjects other than Science or Engineering may be permitted use their Physics AP-1 + AP-2 exam results toward elective course credits in first year College or University.

Check with each College or University regarding their policies.