By Maya Beninteso

The last few months have been trying for many individuals and, in the midst of much uncertainty, some may have been confronted with a rather distressing reality that their mental health has taken a steep decline.

Rapid Changes

Students have gone through a plethora of abrupt changes. They went from seeing their friends and loved ones almost everyday to seeing them through a screen. Extracurricular activities have been cancelled or shifted to online/socially distanced alternatives. The remainder of the school year was completed mostly remotely. The new transition has not necessarily been optimal for individuals’ mental health. In spite of the new normal, there are still ways to improve one’s mental health in time of isolation. While there are several techniques and options available, here are a few that are feasible, yet effective.

Connecting with Others Safely

The younger generation is infamous for being glued to technological devices. However, now may just be the right time to put them to a fruitful use. For those who have not yet used applications such as Zoom, Skype, Houseparty, or FaceTime, they could be a meaningful way to connect with others while staying safe. Conversely, if an in-person rendez-vous is desired, a socially distanced walk with a friend could be a preferable option. Connecting with others, whether it be a socially distanced gathering or via the use of one’s personal technological devices, has been proven to release mood boosting neurotransmitters. Surrounding oneself with the company of one’s loved ones is both a healthy and convenient way to try to make the pandemic more bearable.

Sleep, or a Lack Thereof

It is common for adults to lecture their children about needing more sleep and the benefits of doing so. Most students are completely aware of the benefits of the recommended 8-10 hours of sleep for youth ages 14-17. However, many students often have fallen victim to the “I am just going to scroll through social media for a few minutes” mindset. This results typically with students waking up tired, regretful, and sometimes The aftermath of this seemingly inevitable defeat is tragic, waking up feeling like a thousand trucks crushed you to a pulp.

There is a way to avoid the nightly hours logged on social media: place a phone far away enough from a bed. This will help deter students from simply rolling over to their tempting devices and caving into this new age of internet addiction. Although professionals suggest charging and storing your phone in a different room during the night, this is not a reasonable solution to many students. It is important to prioritize sleep, as it is one of the best ways to boost students’ mental health and set students up with the right tools in order to conquer the day.

Exercise

A variety of students are athletes in the school and some are even on regional, provincial, or national teams; whereas some students may have not run since the glory days of physical education mandated by the ministry of education. Either way, exercise (in any form) has been proven to have a multitude of benefits. During exercise, the body releases endorphins, chemicals that leave individuals in a euphoric state. In fact, studies have shown that exercise is an effective tool to combat against mild to moderate depression. Not only would students reap the short term benefits of physical activity, but students could also see clinical differences, such as lower blood pressures. Exercising, whether it be recreationally or competitively, is a healthy habit to start picking up.

Pro Tip: Take it step by step. Do not start exercising by trying to run a half marathon if you have never ran regularly prior to the pandemic. For example, start easy and simple with a twenty minute walk or a short jog.

Scheduling: A Student’s Perspective (Words from the author)

“Scheduling creates stability in one’s life and gives those who utilize it a sense of accomplishment. As a student with a previously hectic schedule, I can say that the absence of my usual “to-do list” enabled me to relax––initially. As the early days of the pandemic went on, I began going to bed later and sleeping in longer. Needless to say, I definitely did not accomplish much throughout the hours in which I was alert and awake. However, once I started meticulously scheduling my days, my sense of purpose and my mood started to increase once again. To be perfectly candid, it is quite difficult in the first few days of following a new routine; however, once the hard part is over, it is smooth sailing from there. Overall, I felt more content with how I chose to spend my time; while I do enjoy scrolling through TikTok, I much prefer the sense of accomplishment I feel after a scheduled day. With that being said, down below you may find a sample schedule which you may tailor to your liking.”

9:00 a.m.
Wake up
9:10 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Breakfast
9:30 a.m.-9:40 a.m.
Brush teeth, comb hair, dress up
9:40 a.m.-10:40 a.m.
Workout (run, dance, hike, etc)
10:40 a.m.-11:10 a.m.
Hygiene (shower, change clothes)
11:10 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Read
12:00 p.m.-12:40 p.m.
Lunch
12:40 p.m.-1:00 p.m.
Screen Time
1:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Socially distanced/electronic gathering with friends
3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Hobby (writing, baking, reading, knitting, practicing an instrument, etc)
5:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
Learn something new (recipe, sewing, new language, etc)
5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Dinner
6:30 p.m.-7:15 p.m.
Screen Time
7:15 p.m.-8:45 p.m.
Movie with family
8:45 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
Hygiene (brush teeth)
9:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
Down time (drink non caffeinated tea, read)
10:00 p.m.
Sleep

Foundry BC

A useful resource to have is Foundry BC, which offers mental health and wellness services such as free (remote, online) counselling to youth ages 12-24. This is a perfect resource for youth who feel like they need a little extra help and/or are struggling with their mental health or personal circumstances. You do not require a referral from your general practitioner and the services are confidential. Here is a link to their website for more information: https://foundrybc.ca/get-support/virtual/

This article was reposted with permission from the author and the Foundry, to see the original article  How to Take Care of Your Mental Health in a Time of Chaos.