Black History Month

By Ron Nicholson ~ February 4, 2019

Image from Scholastic.com

It has been requested that I write a brief article for Black History Month about why I think Black History Month is important. I belong to the British Columbia Black History Awareness Society in Victoria; and we celebrate Black History Month each year by hosting several events during the month of February, which is Black History Month across Canada. The specific events for this year can be viewed on our website. [ www.bcblackhistory.ca ]

Now, what about the question of Black History Month, and why is it important to celebrate it. February has been designated “Black History Month” for quite some time; and I’m often asked why black people need their own month; as opposed to other ethnic groups or cultures, so I do take the question seriously. Perhaps Black History has been the most neglected or the least recognized. READ MORE…

Written by Ron Nicholson,
British Columbia Awareness Society, Victoria, B.C.
Fourth Generation Canadian whose Great-grandfather,
Adam Nicholson, was a traveler on the Underground Railroad.

WEBSITES:

BC Black History Awareness Society

BC’s Black Pioneers Online Exhibit

Government of Canada

RESOURCES LIST:

BCTF

PROGRAMS, ACTIVITIES, LESSONS:

365 Black Canadian Curriculum Resource – Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario – Primary and Intermediate Lessons & Worksheets

Choose Your Voice Program – Gr. 6-8 (FREE)

Scholastic – Grade 1 – 8

BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY:

A display of books will be set up in the library for check-out. I also purchased a few new books. “I Have  A Dream” comes with a CD of the March on Washington speech, delivered by Martin Luther King Jr. on August 28, 1963.

28 Days is a book that is used in one of the Scholastic lesson ideas on their website linked above.

Images from chapters.indigo.ca

BULLETIN BOARD DISPLAY:

Matching Game

Crossword Puzzle

Word Search Puzzle

ADDTITIONAL ACTIVITIES & RESOUCES

Link to Livia’s curation