Dogwood District/Authority Scholarship Application
The Ministry of Education will award twenty-two $1250 scholarships to Byrne Creek students who have excelled in one of seven elective areas (listed below). These students will also be enrolling in a post-secondary program to continue their studies in that elective area.
To apply, please complete THIS preliminary application and submit it to Ms. Falsetto in room B110 before Tuesday, May 29th. If your preliminary application is approved, you will be contacted to complete the official district application. All official applications will be forwarded to the District Scholarship Committee for consideration and selection will be based on final percentage and experience in the area.
You must demonstrate excellence in one of the following elective areas:
|Elective area||Course/experience requirement|
|Fine Arts||Visual, Dance, Drama, Music|
|Applied Skills||Business Ed, Tech Ed, Home Economics, Cooking or Culinary ACE_IT|
|Physical Activity||Athletics, dance, gymnastics. Not limited to Physical Education-i.e. provincial volleyball, sports camps, etc.|
|International Languages||Taken more than two languages with IRP’s or External Assessments, including AP courses.|
|Technical and Trades||Carpentry, Automotive, Mechanics, Cooks Training, Construction and any of the tech/trade Ace-It programs|
|Community Service||Must have two or more leadership type classes, be going into a field of service and must have two or more letters demonstrating over 300 hours of community involvement. There is a demonstration of local and global issues and cultural awareness.|
|Indigenous Languages and Culture||Portfolio of work showing participation in school or community. Community service/volunteer activity in this area: participation in a minimum of 300 hours of community service/volunteer activity in this area over grades 10 through 12. Demonstration of good attendance, punctuality, work habits and cooperation.|
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and must have demonstrated superior achievement in one of the elective areas listed above.
- You must have a minimum 2.5 GPA (C+ average) based on your best 10 grade 11 and 12, 4 credit courses AND you must have taken a concentration of courses (at least 4 at the grade 11 & 12 level) in one of the elective areas listed above.
- One of the 4 courses can be Work Experience 12A, provided it was done in your chosen elective areas. Other courses outside of the chosen area (both academic and non-academic) that have a direct and obvious relationship to the chosen elective area may also be counted among the FIVE. (If you are in doubt about this submit your application and we will decide)
- You must graduate from high school before August 31, 2018 and be enrolled in post secondary program to continue studies in your chosen elective area.
- You must demonstrate good attendance, punctuality, work habits and cooperation.
- You must pass English 12 or Communications 12.
- You CAN receive both a provincial scholarship (based on provincial exam results) as well as one of these scholarships-this was not the cast in past years.
Application form is available HERE.
Deadline is Tuesday, May 29th.
Please note: This is the day before the Grad Ceremony.