B.C.-CHINA AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN CHINESE
British Columbia’s Ministry of Education is pleased to announce that applications are now open for the B.C.-China Award for Excellence in Chinese. The award promotes the study of Chinese language and cultural by B.C. students developing their intercultural awareness and skills.
The B.C.-China Award for Excellence in Chinese is a collaborative scholarship program offering up to fifty (50) $500 Awards for B.C. students studying Chinese. Each Award is jointly funded by the BC Ministry of Education ($250) and the Chinese Consulate in Vancouver ($250).
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Ordinarily reside in British Columbia
• Be school-age (not older than 19 years of age by June 30, 2018)
• Be enrolled as a full-time Grade 12 student at a public or independent school in British Columbia
• Have completed a Mandarin Chinese language course at the Grade 11 level in British Columbia with a minimum course grade of 86 % – course completion attained through challenge, equivalency or other course credit is not eligible
• Be enrolled in or have completed a Mandarin Chinese language course at the Grade 12 level
• Have attained a grade of 73% and above in all completed Grade 11 courses
How to Apply
Students must complete Parts I and II of the application and ensure Part III is completed by the student’s guardian. Each applicant must also be nominated or sponsored by the student’s Mandarin Chinese language teacher, or the school’s vice-principal or principal. Sponsors must complete Part IV of the application on behalf of the student.
Byrne Creek is permitted to submit 5 applications. The deadline to apply for this scholarship to the Byrne Creek Scholarship Committee is March 15th.
For more information on the B.C.-China Award for Excellence in Chinese including applications and eligibility criteria, see the Ministry of Education website.