Buckingham Library – Ms Carson's Library Blog

There is lots of discussion right now about how important it is that we treat each other with respect and how everyone matters.  Christian Robinson is an illustrator/author who wrote You Matter to tell everyone that they are valued.  To learn more about him and his books visit his webpage: The Art of Fun.

As we can’t be together in the Buckingham Elementary library I thought I’d bring the library, and some stories, to you.  Click on the books on the shelves below to hear or read the story read online.  Above and below the table are some online activities.

Have you ever wanted to make your own book?  The kind that you can use to record stories or doodles or anything you want?  Below is a video with instructions on how to make a wee book from one piece of paper.

Do you make books?  Please share your ideas by leaving a comment.

8-page book – materials needed: paper, scissors
Instructions – click here

It’s time to do some non-fiction learning.  Let’s visit some of my favourite  animals and places (including the ones at the bottom that I’d love to meet).  Please leave me a comment as to which one interested you.

Great Blue Heron colony at Stanley Park – they are on their nests right now. Click on the Webcam and scroll down to see them up close.

Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta – if you love dinosaurs, this is the place to visit Click:  Virtual Tour   or    Museum Website

The British Museum in London, England – two million years of human history  Click: Museum Website  to explore the museum in 11 different ways.

Musee D’Orsay  in Paris – do you love art?  See work from Monet to Van Gogh Click Google Arts & Culture

Mountain Gorillas in their natural habitat up close.  This webcam is in the habitat of these amazing creatures in the Democratic Republic of Congo in Africa.   Click Webcam

There are so many great readings happening online this week.  

Tundra Books has ongoing readings – including Ben Clanton (Narwhal) and Suzin Nielsen (No Fixed Address) .
Click here for this weeks schedule: Virtual Story Times and Singalongs

Orca Books has authors of picture books and chapter books reading their books (including Monique Gray Smith reading the book our grade 1s received last fall – My Heart Fills With Happiness
Scroll down this page: Orca Author Readings

Are you looking for some new reading ideas this week?  Listen along with some Canadian authors.  Tundra Book Publisher has live readings and sing-a-longs on various social media for students of all ages.  Click here for details: Virtual Story Times and Singalongs

Schedule:
Ongoing

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

• Hosting a Zoom lunch at 12:30 pm EST with Anna Humphrey and Kass Reich to celebrate the Megabat series. RSVP here to get the Zoom link!

Welcome to our new way of being at school together.  I hope that you and your families were able to do some new activities while keeping safe and healthy over the break.
Of course I hope that you were reading over the break!!

I’m sad that we aren’t checking out books from our library now, but there are still ways to be reading and enjoying books:

If you borrowed library books then it’s time to reread them, talk about them with the people in your house, read your brother or sister’s books (yes Intermediates, even the picture books :-))

Looking for some new books?  There are lots of places online to find audio or ebooks:

Burnaby Public Library: though the library is closed they are still offering library services.  From their webpage (https://www.bpl.bc.ca/):

Hey Burnaby: don’t have a library card? Our branches are closed, but you can                        now call us at 604-436-5400 and get one for free!

Use it to stay home and keep reading with our expanding e-book and audiobook                     collections in Library to Go or on the Libby app. Browse and borrow from                               thousands of titles for kids, teens and adults, fiction and non-fiction.

Tumblebooks: from our Web Resources page, is one many students know:

How about watching some Canadian authors reading their books?  There are authors for old and young here: Canadian Authors

Remember to not only Read, Read, Read, but talk, write and draw about stories.

Missing you,
Ms Carson

Buckingham Library ©2020. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress. Theme by Phoenix Web Solutions