Category Archives: Uncategorized
October 23rd is National School Library Day. Due to this being a Professional Development Day for our district, at Westridge we hosted a D.E.A.R. (DROP EVERYTHING AND READ) event today, October 24th in recognition of this special day!
After a read aloud over the PA by Mme Papapanagiotou and M. Kane, students, teachers and staff read in the halls, in classrooms and some even assembled outside. Everyone had fun!
Come and check out all of the new fall titles!!!
The Red Cedar Program runs from November until April every year and is open to all intermediate students (Grades 4-7).
- All books nominated are written by Canadian authors
- Voting happens in April, 2016
- Winners are announced in late May
- To be eligible to vote, you must read a minimum of 5 titles
For more details about Red Cedar, visit: https://www.redcedaraward.ca/bookcase/fiction/
The Westridge Home Reading Club began October 13th. Passports for the month of October are due in to the library by Tuesday, November 10th.
On Monday, October 26th, Westridge celebrated National School Library Day with a D.E.A.R. (drop everything and read) event. It was a huge success! Way to go Westridge students and staff!
Home Reading Club passports were distributed to classes this week.
HOW THE HOME READING PROGRAM WORKS
The Reading Club runs October 13th, 2015 to May 31st, 2016.
Students, you need to:
1) Read (or have someone read to you) for:
15 minutes each night for kindergarten – grade 3
20 minutes each night for grades 4 – 7
2) Mark the calendar (with a ü, X, a sticker, a stamp, a happy face, the title of your book or colour in the square) each day you read.
3) At the end of the month have your parent or guardian sign the calendar page in your passport.
4) Bring the passport back to school at the end of the month to have your reading progress recorded.
5) Mark the number of nights you read for the month.
- Reading Club certificates will be awarded to celebrate 100, 150 and 200 nights of reading.
- Students need to submit their passports each month by the due date!
- Students who complete 200 nights by May 31st and turn in their passports will earn a book.
Congratulations Westridge Community! Thanks to your generous support at our Scholastic Book Fair, we raised $2588.10 which equates to just over a $1000.00 for our school library! Way to go! Thank you as well to all the parents who generously purchased books for classrooms. Thank you for supporting literacy in our community!
Our Library Mascot needs a name! He…or she… represents our library theme for the year: Reading is Magic! But our Reading Dragon needs a name! If you would like to name our Reading Dragon, here’s how:
Submit your very best creative story, poem, essay or video that features the Reading Dragon as the protagonist (main character). Our staff will select 6 finalists. Then, parents, teachers and students will be have a chance to vote in the library for their favourite name.
Deadlines for submissions are October 29th, 2015, so start writing! See below for the contest guidelines.
GUIDELINES FOR THE “NAME OUR LIBRARY DRAGON” CONTEST:
– one entry per student please
– all entries need to include your name and division
– submissions may be in French or English
– contest open for all students, K-7
– quality over quantity: maximum of 500 words
– all formats are encouraged: prose, poetry, even video, BE CREATIVE!
– a total of 6 publications will be selected, 3 from primary and 3 from intermediate
– printed text must be neatly printed
– contest closes 3:15 pm on October 29th, 2015