Deadline to submit is February 28th
The BCCPAC Educational Award is granted annually to a well-rounded student in Grade 12 who is involved and interested in many things and has an understanding of the importance of parent involvement in education. The student must be from a school that has a PAC that is a member of BCCPAC. The following must be submitted:
- Complete the BC Educational Award application showing specific plans as to immediate future academic, technical, or vocational education or training studies.
- Prepare a 300 to 500 word essay, on the value of parent involvement in education, with reference to Parent Advisory Councils (PACs), District Parent Advisory Councils (DPACs), and/or BCCPAC.
- Include a cover letter with information about interests and evidence of good citizenship, leadership, sportsmanship, and community service.
- Include two letters of reference: one from an educator, and one from a community member, but not a relative of the applicant. The references should comment on the applicant’s good citizenship, leadership, sportsmanship, and community service.
- Provide copies of Grade 11 and Grade 12 report cards or transcripts to date.
Important: Children of current BCCPAC board members, staff, or contractors are not eligible to apply for this award.
This provincial award is in the amount $1000.
Completed applications must be received by the BCCPAC office by February 28th each year.
Are you interested in applying for District Scholarships?
District Scholarship Information Meetings will be held on
Thursday February 22nd @ lunch in room 325
Friday February 23rd @ lunch in room 325
Come and learn about the different scholarships available from the Burnaby School District and the application process. You only need to attend ONE of the meetings.
See you there!
The Michael J. Fox Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
The Selection Committee representing the Michael J. Fox Theatre Society Board of Directors will again award at least $10,000 in Scholarships for 2018.
You must be a student graduating from a Burnaby secondary school at the end of the 2017-2018 school year. You must be a Canadian citizen or Landed Immigrant.
Scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the selection committee.
3. AWARD CRITERIA
Your letter of application must include the following information:
- Confirmation that you are currently enrolled in a visual or performing arts course in a Burnaby secondary school.
- Documentation to demonstrate your interest, dedication and aptitude in an arts or in multiple arts disciplines, e.g. dance, drama, music, visual art, theatre, script writing, stagecraft, directing, media arts.
- Evidence of your financial need and an explanation of why there are no other financial resources available to you.
- A history of your school and/or community involvement (i.e. school productions, student government, choir member, volunteer work, charity work, service clubs).
- A copy of your secondary school transcript to demonstrate that your grades are high enough for acceptance to a post-secondary educational institution.
- A statement that indicates your desired post-secondary Degree or Certificate in an Arts discipline and your Career Goal.
4. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION Your complete package must be submitted to Ms. McChesney by March 31, 2018.
Community Mental Wellness Association of Canada Bursary – $1000
Community Mental Wellness Association of Canada is awarding two (2) x $1,000 bursaries to Grade 12 students going into fulltime studies in the Health Sciences field in Post Secondary, Trade school or Business colleges.
The following criteria are to be considered when completing the application.
- Students must be graduating from Grade 12.
- A copy of the latest report card is required.
- The student must have a strong interest and be going into the Health Sciences field such as Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Mental Health, Counselling in the Mental Health arena
- Include a resume of school/community participation in Health-related activities and volunteering.
- Provide a letter from their school counsellor that reflects how the applicant models socially responsible behaviour.
- Consideration will be given to students who may suffer from financial hardship.
- The winners will be required to come to a presentation of the bursary at a fundraising event.
The application form is available online on their website: http://www.cmwac.ca/bursary.html and can be submitted online, by mail or fax.
Details on the application include:
- The essay should contain 500-700 words. Entries may be typed.
- The topic will be “Is There a Connection between Mental Health and Peer Pressure? OR b) What is Mental Health?”
- A paragraph about your hobbies, social activities and volunteer opportunities.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS APRIL 10, 2018.
Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame Scholarship
Since it was incorporated in 1892, Burnaby has produced many fine athletes. The Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame was formed in 2001 to honour Burnaby’s past athletic excellence. The hall also encourages future excellence in athletics, academics and sportsmanship by offering $1,000 scholarships to a male athlete and a female athlete from Burnaby.
Completed applications should be mailed to:
Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Office
Suite 101, 4946 Canada Way
Deadline for applications to be received at that address is April 16 2018.
Winners will be notified by May 15, 2017 and invited to our annual induction banquet in February 2018.
• A graduating Grade 12 student enrolled at a B.C. secondary school (public or private).
Priority will be given to those attending school in Burnaby
• A resident of Burnaby for the past three years
• Future plans to attend a post-secondary institution on a full-time basis
• Show evidence of high athletic ability and performance
• Maintain a minimum of a C+ average (please include copy of transcript)
• Demonstrate leadership
• Be active in school and community
Important note: With the application please submit a short cover letter summarizing your athletic endeavours along with your post-secondary athletic and academic goals and plans.
Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame Scholarship application 2018
Doteasy Scholarships are open to residents of Canada in their final year of high school and have an expressed interest in a field of study that would greatly benefit from owning a website (eg. Computer Science, IT, IAT, Graphic Design, Business, or Other)
Awards: 3 prizes of up to $1000 for post-secondary tuition, plus 1 year of services to make your own website.
Deadline: March 31, 2018
Instructions on how to apply:
You can apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please:
1)Tell us your intended field of study in the body of the email:
Computer Science, IT, IAT, Graphic Design, Business, or Other (If other, briefly explain why having a website would benefit you).
2)Attach a 300-500 word essay describing your career goals, and why having an online presence would help you on your journey.
3)Attach one letter of reference from a teacher, principal, employer or community leader
4)Scholarship winners will also receive 1-year of website hosting and domain name services. Please tell us which Doteasy services (hosting and/or add-ons) would best suit you and your needs. (Note that this answer will not be considered as part of the adjudication process, but allows us to assess the best complimentary hosting resources for our scholarship winners). You can take a look at the services offered by Doteasy on our website: www.doteasy.com
Here is the URL for the scholarship details: https://www.doteasy.com/scholarship/
Rotary Club of Deer Lake is accepting applications for its Community Leadership Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to be awarded to a successful applicant.
This scholarship is awarded annually to a well-rounded student who has demonstrated strong citizenship and leadership skills as demonstrated through voluntary participation in community and school activities. The scholarship shall be applicable towards post-secondary education or trades training at any approved institution.
For information, criteria and application form go to: www.rotaryburnabydeerlake.org
Download forms from the two Community Scholarships items in the lower right menu of the home page. Deadline April 4th, 2018.
Check out KPU’s scholarships:
- The President’s Scholarship – $20,000
- The Merit Scholarship – $5000
- The Aboriginal Entrance Scholarship – $5000
Visit their webpage for a list of awards and information on how to apply:
Youth Week is a fun & interactive initiative aimed at building stronger connections
between the community and young people. The City of Burnaby wants to create a more positive image for youth by highlighting the efforts and vital roles they play in the community.
The Youth Week Committee created citizenship awards to recognize young people in
Burnaby who have volunteered their time, skills, and contributed to the community.
- Youth under the age of 19
- who have made an important contribution to their community:
- who show initiative, enthusiasm, commitment and a positive attitude.
All nominated individuals will be recognized by the Mayor and presented with a Citizenship Certificate at the May 7th Burnaby City Council Meeting.
The Top 5 nominees will also be awarded a $100 bursary.
Please see Ms. McChesney in room 325 or send her an email if you are interested in a nomination.
Deadline for submissions: March 16 2018
Save-on-Foods has partnered with UFCW Local 1518 to offer ten scholarships of $1000 to individuals who have played a significant role in diversity initiatives in their school and/or community.
Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to apply.
The online application is available here: https://www.owfg.com/diversity
Deadline: May 1, 2018