Read Alouds

One of the things I have been missing most during this suspension of in school instruction is reading aloud books to students in the library.  Two of the “Big Ideas” in our English Language Arts curriculum are:

• Language and story can be a source of creativity and joy.
  • Through listening and speaking, we connect with others and share our world.

So… on this page I will be posting videos of Read Alouds I will be doing from home.  Many publishers are relaxing their copyright guidelines during this time and I am grateful all the publishers who will be providing permission for me to post these videos. Please do not download.  Just watch and enjoy.

I hope these videos brings you joy and help us connect even though we can’t see each other at school.

Episode 8: May 22, 2020

What is your passion? Music? Art? Science? Soccer? In my latest read aloud we learn about a character who sees the beauty of the world through math.  I  hope you enjoy Count on Me by Miguel Tanco.  Click on the book to view.  Ask your teacher for the password.  This video includes ASL interpretation.

What math can you find in the world around you?

What are you passionate about?

Episode 7: May 13, 2020

This week’s book, Bear Came Along by Richard T. Morris and illustrated 
by LeUyen Pham, is quickly becoming one of my new favourites. Thank you Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for permission to record this read aloud.

Click on the book to view my read aloud of this book with ASL interpretation.  Ask your teacher for the password.

Episode 6: May 7, 2020

I hope you enjoy this new read aloud, Does a Kangaroo have a mother, too? by Eric Carle, just in time for Mother’s Day.  What do you love best about your mom?

Ask your teacher for the password and click here to watch. This video includes ASL interpretation.

Episode 5: April 28, 2020

It is still Poetry Month and I hope you enjoy my new read aloud of a poem from Bug Off! Creepy Crawly Poems by Jane Yolen.  What do you notice about the poem?

Ask your teacher for the password and click here to watch. This video includes ASL interpretation.

Episode 4: April 21, 2020

Please click here to view my read aloud of Todd Parr’s, The Earth Book. This book was read with permission from Little, Brown and Company. Please ask your teacher for the password.  This video includes ASL interpretation. How will you take care of the Earth?

Episode 3: April 16, 2020

April is Poetry Month! Celebrate poetry month by watching this video of me reading Sometimes I feel like a fox by Danielle Daniel.  This book was read with permission from Access Copyright on behalf of Groundwood Books. You will need a password from your teacher to watch this video.  Click here to watch and then enter the password.

Click here to watch the video with ASL interpretation and enter the password.

Episode 2: April 8, 2020

In celebration of Easter please find my video read aloud of one of my favourite books, The Easter Bunny’s Assistant by Jan Thomas. This book was read with permission of Harper Collins Children’s Books. Click here to watch the video.  Happy Easter, everyone!

Episode 1: April 5, 2020:

Click here to view my read aloud of The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt with pictures by Oliver Jeffers.  I am grateful to Penguin Random House for providing permission for me to post this video.