A Productive Snow Day! – Burnaby Science

A Productive Snow Day!

| Posted in Uncategorized

Website Updated

Hello all…despite having to shovel snow, go for a walk and make some snowballs, I managed to have a productive snowday and updated our science blog with all of the K-7 science topic four-pagers and DLRC resource lists.  Find them here.  I would appreciate any feedback or additional information/resources you have.  Because of the snow, our last workshop in the series, on Earth and Water, will be postponed to a later date.

Great Poster Resources for Women in Science

If you would like to decorate your room, consider these posters which are available for a free download. Not only do they celebrate women in science, but they are very artistic and represent women from diverse backgrounds.  Another set of free download is available from the Might Girl Website. We have learned that representation matters…but also that girls perform best when asked to DO science rather than being CALLED scientists.

Offerings on District Day

There are many diverse offering on District Day if you want to pursue science or outdoor education.

Flip that lab! Moving from structured labs to guided inquiry is offered by Byrne Creek teacher Tanya Virani–how to make your labs more inquiry oriented.

The Sierra Club is offering primary and intermediate+ workshops on learning through nature.

For secondary teachers (and this would also work for Gr 6-7 teachers) a representative from GALE presents a workshop on how we teach our students to distinguish real science from FAKE NEWS?

Lori Snyder’s workshop on medicinal plants of Coast Salish territories is already full…we will have to bring her back again.

Kent Lui from Burnaby South presents Common Grade Inquiry Projects for Grade 8-10 science. Brenda Moore and Kent Rockwell from Alpha will be holding a workshop on assessing curricular competencies in science. And Norman Jansen of Cariboo secondary presents Using Claymation to Explore Chemistry Concepts–which might be good for Gr 7 teachers as well as a high school audience.

Follow me on Twitter

I only get to the blog periodically, but I am frequently tweeting out resources and ideas for math and science teaching.  You don’t have to join to look. I’m @DonnaMorgan8