The Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment and aptitude for a career path in K-12 teaching.
$5,000 scholarship voucher to redeem when registered and attending an approved K-12 teacher education program at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education. Up to 7 years to redeem voucher.
ONLINE by FEBRUARY 15, 2022.
For eligibility and application visit online at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/scholarships/provincial-scholarships/pathway-to-teacher-education-scholarship
The BC Excellence scholarship is awarded to 55 well-rounded high school graduates who have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and who show aptitude for and commitment to their chosen career paths. You must be nominated by your secondary school to qualify for this scholarship and each school may nominate one student only.
$5000. Students have five years to redeem their BC Excellence scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- February 4, 2022: nomination application due to Ms. Mihic in Student Services or email by 3pm.
- February 15, 2022: online applications due by 2:59 pm PST
- Early June 2022: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2022: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- October 2022: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Before starting, review all the details for this process outlined here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/scholarships/provincial-scholarships/bc-excellence-scholarships
Schools may only submit one nominee for this scholarship. You must submit a 500 word response on the following question:
Statement question: describe how you demonstrated one or more of the Core Competencies (or sub-competencies) in the B.C. Curriculum in your most relevant volunteer or work experiences.
This is due to Ms. Mihic by February 4th to be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee.
Students selected as conditional recipients of the BC Excellence scholarship must meet the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher:
- meet basic eligibility requirements;
- be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma);
- fulfill the requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program;
- be graduating in the same year the scholarship is awarded; and
- have the following final marks.
- Minimum “B” average in grades 11 and 12 courses required for graduation.
- Minimum “B” (73% or above) in Language Arts 12.
- Minimum “B” average, no more than one “C+” (67% or above), and no marks lower than “C+” in courses that fulfill graduation requirements for Science 11 or 12, Math 11, and Social Studies 11 or 12Note: students may apply for both the BC Excellence scholarship and the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship but they can only be awarded one.
How applications are evaluated
- Written statements are assessed by teams of B.C. teachers using the marking guidelines
- A subset of candidates is shortlisted.
- The resume packages for these students are assessed by the scholarship committee, which includes B.C. teachers, using the marking guidelines.
- Fifty-five candidates are named as conditional recipients.
Students are encouraged to get organized well before the application deadline of 11:59pm PST on February 15, 2021.
- Record the key dates noted above
- Plan to meet all eligibility requirements
- Understand students must be nominated by their secondary school to qualify for this scholarship and each school may nominate one student only
- Understand that the online application must be completed in one session because it cannot be saved and completed later; preview the online application and follow the instructions to prepare information offline
BC Excellence scholarship application
· Students are encouraged to inform their high schools of any address changes. In the fall, the Ministry mails paper scholarship vouchers to recipients using the home addresses reported by schools.
Please contact the Provincial Scholarships Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org .