Home of Book Beast Readers

Battle of the Books 2013

Attention all Grade 6/7 students!

Battle of the Books begins in March! A “battle kick-off” will happen in mid-March and there you will find out your teams and be told all about how Battle works. Until then, if you are interested in getting a head start on reading…here is the list. Note: all Nelson library copies of these books are unavailable. You will have to go to the public library or bookstore, if you want to start reading early 🙂

The List:

I am a Taxi by Deborah Ellis

Schooled by Gordon Korman

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

How do you Spell G*E*E*K*? by Julie Anne Peters

Elephant Run by Roland Smith

Into the Volcano by Don Wood

13 Comments

1. Vivian

I am a taxi is a really good one!!

• robertsh

This is one of my favourite battle books this year! Did you know this book has a sequel? It’s called “Sacred Leaf.”

2. Yang

Seems Legit!

3. Claire

All of the books this year, look sooooooooooo good!!! I wish I could read them all, if only I could do that.

• robertsh

Maybe you *can* read them all! Glad you are excited for Battle this year 🙂

4. Claire Tian

I still can’t believe battle of the books started!! I just love it!!! I want to thank you so much, Mrs. Roberts, for hosting this every year!!:) The important thing to me, is that you always have such wonderful and engaging books for us to read, and I’ve never even heard of them before! My favourite book this year, is “Out of my mind” because I got really inspired by this book. In my opinion, I think it’s kind of sad that the main character in the book (Melody Brooks) can’t talk and walk, and she’s never been able to express her feelings, and telling her parents how she loves them and are thankful for them. To be honest, I felt like crying when I read this book, but on the positive side, I still rank this book number one out of all the other battle books (not that I don’t love the other ones too. I honestly LOVE all of them). I think the author’s message in the book, is that just because someone’s autistic, it doesn’t mean that they can’t share the spotlight with the rest of the “normal” kids, because in the book, it also tells us how the autistic main character, is extremely intelligent, and that she’s the star player of her quiz team. The author’s probably trying to tell us that everybody is unique, and most importantly, EVERY SINGLE person has their OWN unique ablilities, limits, and powers, in order to help them succeed in life, and we have to accept them for who they are.

• robertsh

Thank YOU, Claire. I love your enthusiam 🙂 Glad you are enjoying Battle of the Books so much. I think you got the message of “Out of my Mind” exactly right… Just a quick correction, Melody does not have autism. She has cerebral palsy. Keep up the Battle energy!

5. Claire Tian

I can’t wait to read “invisible lines!” I heard it’s really good!

• robertsh

They are ALL really good! 🙂

6. Claire Tian

Only 3 more battle books to read, then, I would be finished reading every single books!! just a little bit more to reach my goal!! (I set a goal for myself to try and read all the battle books this year)

• robertsh

Which is your favourite so far? Good luck reading the last 3 books!

• Claire Tian

my favourite book is out of my mind, how do you spell g.e.e.k, and invisible lines!!! they are soooooooooo good, and truly fantastic!! just a quick question, do you have any other books in the library that are by the author “Sharon Draper?” I want to read her other books too, because “out of my mind” was such a fantastic book!! Thanks!!!

• robertsh

What is your least favourite book and why?!