For current Grade 7 students, applications for the 2020-2021 school year are now CLOSED.
For students currently in Grades 8-11, applications to the BETA Mini School will be available until May 31st, 2020. Please contact us for details.
Please read this page in its entirety for details on how to apply.
In addition to online applications, all hard copy documentation listed below must be sent to Advanced Learning Team, Burnaby School Board office (Mini School application), 5325 Kincaid St, Burnaby, BC V5G 1W2
- Inform your child’s current school that she/he is applying to the BETA Mini School so that they know to complete the required supporting documentation outlined below. Please download and complete the Application Notification Letter and provide copies to your child’s teacher and school principal.
- Mini School Main Program Application
- Family Input Form
- Two most recent report cards
- If applicable, send a copy of the child’s IEP and/or psycho-educational assessment. All hard copy documentation must be sent to the Advanced Learning Team, Burnaby School Board Office (Mini-School Application), 5325 Kincaid St, Burnaby, BC V5G 1W2
- Reference or personal letter (optional)
- Out-of-district application for students not attending a Burnaby school, if applicable — Please note that out-of-district applications will be accepted; however, priority will be given to Burnaby students.
Have your child attend a cognitive assessment, during which they will also write a short essay. A time will be assigned to your child after applications have closed and all documentation is received. See below for more information.
- School Input Form – Mini School
- If applicable, copy of IEP and psycho-educational assessment
- All supporting hard copy documentation should be sent to the Advanced Learning Team, Burnaby School Board Office (Mini School application).
- NOTE: The online form is password protected, schools can email Emily Ginter (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the password.
Candidates are expected to participate in a group-administered cognitive screening assessment taking place at a District location from December 9th – December 17th, 2019 for students applying for the 2020-2021 school year.
Parents will be notified of their child’s screening assessment dates after the application deadline and upon receipt of all documentation required.
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the testing site. Due to space limitations, we ask that parents wait for their children at an off-site location.
The purpose of the screening assessment is to gain information regarding each candidate’s cognitive profile. This gives a snapshot of the student’s cognitive profile but is not a full psycho-educational assessment and the results should not be interpreted as such. We will be using the results as a screening tool in conjunction with information from the application package. No one criteria will determine a student’s admittance into the program.
NOTE: All supporting documentation must be received by Friday, November 8th, 2019 for applications to be considered.
Application materials will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of school-based and district staff. Applicants will be notified of program acceptance by January 31st, 2020 by mail.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR CROSS CATCHMENT SCHOOL TRANSFER. Upon acceptance into a Mini School Program, the student will automatically be granted a school transfer.