Applications for the 2020-2021 school year are now CLOSED.
In consultation with the school, parents can put forth an application to the MACC Program for their child online between October 11th – November 15th, 2019 for the 2020-2021 school year. Please read all of this page for important details about the application process, cognitive assessment, and selection process.
**** IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Unless a student currently in the MACC Program leaves the program, there will not be space available in the grades 5, 6, or 7 classes. We are still accepting applications for all grades. If the student is currently in Grades 4-6, please fill out the MACC Program Application and Parent Input Form ONLY. School Input Forms are to be submitted for students currently in grade 3. If a spot becomes available in the grade 5, 6, or 7 class, schools will be contacted directly and asked to fill in the forms.
- (GRADE 3s ONLY) Inform your child’s current school that they are applying to the MACC Program so that they know to complete the required supporting documentation outlined below. Please download and complete the Grade 3 MACC Application Notification Letter and provide copies to your child’s teacher and school principal.
- Online MACC Program Application
- Online Parent Input Form
- Two most recent report cards
- If applicable, copy of IEP or psycho-educational assessment
- Bring student to both cognitive assessment times, which will be assigned upon receipt of all documentation (please see below under cognitive assessment)
- All supporting hard copy documentation (last two report cards, IEP reports, psycho-educational assessment) should be sent to the Advanced Learning Team, Burnaby School Board Office (MACC application), 5325 Kincaid St, Burnaby, BC V5G 1W2
SCHOOL RESPONSIBILITIES: (ONLY for current GRADE THREE students)
- Online School Input Form
- NOTE: The school form is password protected and is for school use only. Schools can email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the password.
Candidates are expected to participate in a group-administered cognitive screening assessment taking place at a District location from December 2nd – December 17th, 2019 for students applying for the 2020-2021 school year.
Parents will be notified of their child’s assessment dates after the application deadline and upon receipt of all documentation required.
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the testing site. Due to space limitations, we ask that parents wait for their children at an off-site location.
The purpose of the screening assessment is to gain information regarding each candidate’s cognitive profile. This gives a snapshot of the student’s cognitive profile but is not a full psycho-educational assessment and the results should not be interpreted as such. We will be looking at the results as a screening tool in conjunction with information from the application package. No one criteria will determine a student’s admittance into the program.
NOTE: All supporting documentation must be received by Friday, November 15th for applications to be considered.
Application materials will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of school-based and district staff. Applicants will be notified of program acceptance by January 31st, 2020 by mail.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR CROSS CATCHMENT SCHOOL TRANSFER. Upon acceptance into a MACC Program, the student will automatically be granted a school transfer.