STUDENTS: PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT THIS WEEK TO THANK YOUR PARENTS, OLDER SIBLINGS, AND OTHER LOVED ONES THAT ARE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR WORK AT HOME RIGHT NOW!  THEY ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB BALANCING EVERYTHING!  BE AS SWEET AS SUGAR TO THEM!

PARENTS: THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE DOING TO SUSTAIN YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING AT HOME!  YOU ARE AMAZING!   YOU ARE AS BUSY AS BEES RIGHT NOW AND WE APPRECIATE ALL YOU ARE DOING!

Task 1:  Watch this simile video:

Task 2: Look at the similes below.  Talk to someone (yes, your dog counts!) about what is being compared in each sentence.

Task 3: Think about examples that we use in everyday conversations.  For example: He was as hungry as a lion.   She is as cool as a cucumber.  They fought like cats and dogs.  What similes have you heard in English?   Try to come up with 2 or 3 common ones.  Hint: many songs that you know and enjoy have similes in them.  For example, “…shine bright like a diamond” (Rihanna).

Shine Bright Like A Diamond - Shine Bright Like A Diamond Png PNG ...

Task 4: Write an “I am Poem” using a simile for each sentence.  Here is an examples:

If you are uncomfortable writing about yourself, you can write about someone else (perhaps a pet, a celebrity that you admire, a parent).  Remember to be respectful if you are choosing to write about someone else!  Yes, you may really wish to bug your brother or sister at this time; however, this is not the goal of this assignment!  Also, if you do choose to write about you: be respectful to yourself in this activity!

Criteria:

• 7-10 sentences each containing a well thought out simile (using like or as)
  • accurate spelling and grammar
  • neatness counts (you can choose to type your sentences)
  • your work can be illustrated or not, your choice.

Some sentence starters (these are examples, you do not need to these examples).

I am smart like a ……..

I worry sometimes like ……

I understand…..

I want ……

I dislike _______________ as much as a ___________________ dislikes ______________.

I love ____________________ as much as a __________________ loves ________________.  (ex. I love ice-cream as much as the flowers love the sun.)

I need _______________________ as much as a ______________________ needs ____________. (ex. I need to play sports as much as the Earth needs to rain).

Sometimes I see things differently like……..

I am as kind as a ……..

At night when it is dark, I feel scared like …..

On the soccer field, I am as fast as a ……

My art is as important to me as ……

I love my family as much as …….

My parents treasure me like ……..

YOU ARE ALL DOING GREAT!  YOU ARE AS BRIGHT AS THE SUN AND AS CREATIVE AS A POTTER’S HAND!