Sound Wave

SOUND WAVE

Sound Wave Handbell Choir is comprised of students in Grades 7 to 11 and are from five schools from Burnaby School District. Two ringers have just joined us, but the remainder have played for a combination of up to seven years. They perform all over the lower mainland, but a highlight was being invited to play at the Opening Ceremonies of the International Handbell Conference in 2016 in front of 750 handbell ringers.

Sound Wave plays a five octave set of Schulmerich handbells and a four and a half octave set of chimes. This past November, the bottom fifth octave was purchased – the seven largest bells which cost $14,000, paid for by a joint venture of Burnaby School District and a memorial donation.

This past year Sound Wave was invited to be guest artists for the Surrey Instrumental Music Festival, and did performances in New Westminster and Burnaby. Some members travelled to the provincial handbell festival in Kelowna and performed as a small ensemble.

Directed by Janet Nordstrand, Kindergarten to Grade Six Music Teacher at Ecole Inman. Janet has conducted Sound Wave for its entirety, since 1999.

For more information about auditions, Burnaby students can contact their school music teacher or email the choir director at:   janet.nordstrand@sd41.bc.ca

Sound Wave’s blog can be found here.

One Response to Sound Wave

1. Richard Jones says:

Hi
    I saw the Handbell choir playing on SKY1 and loved the music.Is it possible to purchase a recording of the music on digital format ? Perhaps MP3 download so I can enjoy it on my MP3 player? At the moment I only seem to be able to find videos on youtube.

I think the musical sound is incredible .

Many thanks

Richard Jones (UK)