Episode 9: You Hold Me Up

It has been been a challenge for us to be away from family, friends and school for the last several weeks.  However, the students, staff and families of South Slope/BCSD have made me feel so loved and supported in this difficult time.  I was thinking about the wonderful emails, comments on the blog and phone calls I’ve received.  The video meetings I’ve been a part of have been so fun and made me feel connected to you.  Thinking about this inspired me to choose You Hold Me Up, written by Monique Gray Smith and illustrated by Danielle Daniel, as this week’s read aloud.

We read this book at the beginning of the school year to learn more about reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and we responded to it by thinking of ways we can support and hold each other up in the school community.

I hope you enjoy this story which includes ASL interpretation.  Click on the book cover to watch the video.  Ask your teacher for the password.

Thank you to Orca Book Publishers and the Read Aloud Canadian Books Program for permission to record this video.

Watch the story again as the author reads the book to a group of children: