AP & Honours Courses
why take honours courses?
- Enriched learning environment, greater depth in topics learned
- Group of equally interested, motivated & advanced students
- Find out what you can really do – challenge yourself
- Grade 11 Honours courses are prerequisites for many Grade 12 AP courses. AP Courses can give you credit for university level courses and help with admission status
♣ FACT: 1 out of every 3 students at Burnaby South is taking at least
1 Honours/AP course
what is ap??
- AP stands for Advanced Placement
- Program of university-level courses and exams offered in high school
- Earn advanced placement and/or credit for college or university level courses while in high school.
- Exams scored on a scale of 1 to 5, with universities giving credit for score of 4 or 5
- Over 3.2 million exams written worldwide, 23,700 in Canada and over 8,500 in B.C
benefits of taking ap courses
- Prepare students for university work and expectations of 1st year courses
- Earn advance placement and/or credit for university while still in high school
- Potentially save a lot of $$$ since university tuition fees are expensive
- Finish your post-secondary degree earlier (or earlier entry into graduate school)
- 38% of all grade 12s in 2010-2011 took at least ONE AP course
***All AP courses are Grade 12 level but some may be taken when students are in Grade 11 (or even Grade 10)
FOR MORE INFORMATION…
See the Burnaby South Website AP Link