Tuesday May 23/Wednesday May 24 – Block 3/4/7

We went over these words, quiz on June 1 (block 3/4) and 2nd (block 7).

We talked about time/topic/comment:

We practiced these sentences – don’t forget to use proper ASL grammar.

1. Who is your favourite singer/musician?
  2. Who is your favourite actor?
  3. What colour is your car?
  4. What do you do on the weekends?

We talked about using your face to explain strong and light colours as well as how to show this in gloss.

We talked about using shoulder shift to show lots of colours side-by-side as well as how to use it for three words: BUT, AND, OR. 

We talked about how to use the sign LOVE-IT and practiced it with these sentences – don’y forget your ASL grammar and things like body shift and deixis:

1. I like going to the movies on the weekends.
  2. I love your car!
  3. They really like going to Mexican restaurants.
  4. She loved the movie but I didn’t like it.
  5. What do you like?

We learned how to show contact information: how to fingerspell phone numbers, emails, and addresses. 

Your homework is to go over what we learned in class and practice the sentences and vocabulary. 

ASL 10/11/12 FINAL PROJECT DUE JUNE 15

FINAL PROJECT:

OPTION #1: Done individually. Character descriptions – you will tell me about 2 characters. Physical description (15 facts each) and personality traits (7 things each). You will then tell me a short 5 -10 sentence story about these characters (something that happened between them). Turn in a gloss, film or perform live.

OPTION #2: Done individually. Family presentation. Tell me about at least 10 people in your family – give me one characteristic of each and tell me how they are related to you. You will then tell me a short 5-10 sentence story about a memory you have of one of these family members. 

OPTION #3: Done individually. What you want to study – give me an ideal course schedule for either high school or university. You’ll have to tell me what courses you’re taking (at least 8) and why you’d like to take them (or why you have to take them) – one comment about each one. You should tell me what you’re interested in majoring in in the future, as well as what you could do with these courses (5-10 sentences on top of your schedule and comments).

OPTION #4: Music video project; in groups of up to 3 or 4. Choose a song, write a gloss, turn gloss in, perform song or film it to be presented in class.

Tuesday, May 16 – ASL 10/11/12

Today we went over these words for the last time, QUIZ ON MAY 24

We did class exercises P (p. 188) and Q (p. 189) in your unit packages. 

We discussed initialization from your unit package (p. 188) and the signs “to be good at” and “to be bad at” (p. 189). These new signs on these pages are going to be on your next quiz. 

Homework: practice.

Friday, May 12 – ASL 10/11/12

Today we went over these words:

QUIZ ON MAY 24TH – PREVIOUS DATE OF MAY 23RD WAS IN ERROR.

I told you a story about degrees and education.

We compared schedules with a buddy.

We read page 186-187 of Chapter 5 in our texts (talking about different Deaf schooling systems) and talked about the following questions:

1. What are the schooling methods discussed – describe them (mainstream of many Deaf people, mainstream of one Deaf person, oral/speech based programs, and ASL-based Deaf schools).
  2. What are pros and cons of each method?
  3. If you had a Deaf child, what schooling do you think you would choose? Why?
1 2 3 11