Planting, Erosion and Planning!

Continue reading

Lots of News!

Hello everyone!

I hope you are enjoying our warming weather!

We have been very busy lately and I’d like to bring you up-to-date!

First of all, I’d like to congratulate Lucy and Hayden who spoke to the Burnaby School Board Monday evening to talk about a piece of art our entire class made for the Arts Alive Challenge this year!  Our piece was very well received and the students spoke from the heart about the process and end result – way to go!  If you’d like to see it, it will be displayed at the Burnaby Art Gallery until May 21.

Tomorrow is our Student Led Conferences!  Come any time between 2-6pm!  Your child will lead you around the room and show off their work. It should take between 5-10 min. Please try and make it as we have lots of learning to share!  If you can’t make it tomorrow, get in touch to come another day if you’d like!

Finally, Div. 5 has decided to have a Craft Fair in late May as part of the new “Applied Design” curriculum!  Students will be making crafts here and at home in the next few weeks.  We will be selling to the rest of the school over a 2 day period and are very excited about this!  All proceeds will go towards a class event or party – the students will help me decide what we should do!  Take a look at your child’s Business Plan tomorrow during our conferences as they have already begun their planning.  If you’d like to help out, please spend some time with your child “making change”!  Products will be sold for any amount up to $1 and students need to know how to make change as part of the selling process.  Using real money at home to practice will be very beneficial!

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Happy Spring!

Happy April everyone and I hope you weren’t “fooled” on Saturday!
The weather has been so nice lately that we will be going outside more often to explore and learn.  Please make sure your child has extra clothes at school in case they get muddy.  It is much appreciated!
Next week we are off to Fort Langley on the 14th and will also be having another Potluck on Wednesday, April 13.  Students who wish to participate may bring in any kind of lunch item to share with their classmates.  Bringing food for 4-6 students is always enough!  Food ideas: fruit, veggies and dip, pizza slices, bagels, crackers and cheese, pasta, anything you consider “kid friendly”!
We will be studying “Earth and Space” in Science this term so I would like to encourage you to check out some books on this broad topic from the library with your child!  It’s always a fun experience to get something “free” and children usually love to read and learn about these topics.  You may also want to see if there are any videos that might interest your child. 
Enjoy the sunshine!

Field Trips!

Hello and Happy “Almost March Break”!

I just wanted to say thanks to the parents who helped out with the driving today!  The students had a wonderful time skating and it was a lot of fun to watch them (especially the ones who have never skated before)!

Just a heads up – we will be going to Fort Langley on April 13 (no driver’s needed) and a permission form will be going home after the break.

As a challenge, ask your child to do some research on the fort and find 5 facts about it to bring them in to school.  The first 3 students to do this will get a prize!

Have a terrific break!

Science Test next Thurs!

Students will have a Science test on Thursday, Feb. 23 on Habitats.

Students will be expected to know:
– living vs non living things in different habitats
– vocabulary: herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, habitat, biodiversity
– food chains
– basic needs of plants and animals
– physical and behavioural adaptations (of animals)
– threats to biodiversity and ways to protect the environment

As well, students are working on Animal Projects. Some will be working on theirs at home and others at school! If your child brought home poster board to work on, encourage them and offer feedback, but let them do most of the work!

Enjoy this ” finally warming up” weather!

Inquiry!

• Students have been very busy this year during our Inquiry time!  Here are a few examples!  What kind of learning is going on in each picture?  It’s pretty impressive what they can come up with once provided with the supplies they need.  Brains are definitely working hard so if they come home tired, now you know why!

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!  We are now in Term 2 and I’m excited!  We will be learning about ecosystems and habitats and the students will have a chance to show what they know later in the term by doing a project on their favourite animal.  We will learn more about the First Nations as well.  In reading we will be starting a class novel and focussing in on more questioning, making predictions and summarizing what we’ve learned.  We will focus on poetry writing, as well as paragraph writing this term. 

In Inquiry, students will be asked to write up a plan, make changes to their inquiries and then present when they are finished.  This has been a great success so far and I look forward to more creations.  I will try and put more photos up as the students make things.  If possible, send in empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls.  They are very useful!  Thanks!

Inquiry and SEL!

Hello everyone!

It’s been a very busy November so far and I am excited to bring you up to date with some of the fun things we are doing in Div. 5!  The class has been having a terrific time during our weekly “Inquiry” times.  During this time students are allowed to create anything they want.  It fits in with the new “Applied Design, Skills and Technologies” curriculum.  One Big Idea we are working on is learning that “Skills are developed through practice, effort, and action.”  This has been a real game changer for some students who are now able to work on things that interest them specifically and they also get to show off new skills.  Some ideas of what students are working on are: creating board games, writing a school newspaper, building a rocket ship, making “how to” manuals, building marble drop games, building mini homes, constructing shoebox dioramas about the ocean and making stuffed animals!  Ask your child what they are working on – you’ll be amazed!

SEL stands for Social Emotional Learning.  This means learning how to manage or regulate their emotions and establish positive relationships with others.  This is not an easy skill to learn for some and takes time.  The first step in this process is to be able to identify how you’re feeling at various times during the day.  After that, students will learn what to do next.  If they are angry, this means that instead of acting out by yelling or hitting, they will walk away, take a break and/or get help.  I have been using “Mind Up” breathing strategies to teach the students how to regulate themselves with breathing.  We are also going to be doing the “Zones of Regulation” program.  The Zones curriculum provides strategies to teach students to become more aware of, and independent in controlling their emotions and impulses, managing their sensory needs, and improving their ability to problem solve conflicts.  

(http://zonesofregulation.com/index.html)

These programs are also great to use with your child at home.  Ask your child what “zone” they are in: green (ready to learn, calm or happy), blue (sad, sick, tired, or bored), red (angry or scared), yellow (stressed, frustrated, anxious, excited, silly or nervous) at random times during the day.  After they’ve identified how they’re feeling, ask them what they should do next!  Taking a moment to think before you react makes a huge difference in the lives of kids (and adults!) and I look forward to learning more with my students! 

Gr. 4 Math – “It’s Too Easy!” or “It’s Too Hard!”

I have been getting a lot of feedback about math lately and either it’s too difficult, or it’s too easy!  Here are some tips to fix both dilemmas!

The Grade 4’s are currently working on estimating, subtracting and adding up to 4 digit numbers.  There will be a test on Unit 2 next Monday.  If your child is struggling, please start doing flash cards with them (addition and subtraction).  Many children are still using their fingers to count simple addition (i.e. 4 + 7) and need to have these memorized soon!  Flash cards are quick to use daily and can be a lot of fun if you make it into a game.  You can also use a deck of cards.  Decide if you want to work on adding or subtracting.  Flip 2 cards over, add them in your head and whomever says the answer first, gets to keep the cards  (take out the face cards ahead of time!).  Whomever has the most cards at the end, wins!  Ask your child to teach you how to play our “Place Value” game as well.  We go up to 10,000 for this game and it involves dice.  It’s quite addictive!  Finally, we are also beginning to review/ learn our times tables.  This month we will concentrate on 1’s and 10’s.  These are also important to practice at home.  The grade 4’s need to know up to 9×9 by the end of June!

Finally, if your child is finding math “too easy” and can do all the homework with almost 100% accuracy, I would be glad to give them more challenging work.  They will still need to do some of the homework assigned, but after that can work on the more difficult questions.  Please get in touch, or have your child tell me, if this is the case! 

Happy counting! 

Halloween Party!

We will be having a Halloween Party after lunch on Monday, October 31! I will be creating a sign up for students who wish to bring food/snacks to share with the rest of the class. Please discuss with your child and choose something to send to school on Monday, if you want! (We could also use small paper plates and cups too!) Costumes are welcome in the afternoon! I’m looking forward to a having a “BOO”tiful day with the class!