Chip and Salsa

Introducing… Chip and Salsa at 5 days old!

Chip or Salsa?
Chip and Salsa

Students’ drawings of Chip and Salsa in their observation journals:

Hatching soon

We have been reading lots of stories about chickens and other oviparous animals.  We have been visiting Ms. Gourlay’s classroom every few days to observe the eggs in the incubator.  Sometimes Ms. Gourlay reads a story to both of our classes.  Today, she read a funny one titled, “Chicks and Salsa” – the chickens get tired of the same old chicken feed and decide to try some new foods!  Soon, all the animals decide to plan for a fiesta with chips and salsa!  After the story, we ALL got to try some chips and salsa!  Some kids were trying chips and salsa for the very first time.

“It was the best!” H.S.

“It was salty, but I still like it.” A.L.

“It was a little bit spicy, but I liked it!” K.S.

“I loved it!” E.Y.

“It was a tiny bit good…” A.O.

Here is a link to the story on video –> Chicks and Salsa video

We look through a special scope that allows us to see inside the egg!  Then we draw and write about our observations in our booklets.  The eggs are due to hatch any day now…

Student-led Conferences

I love sitting back and eavesdropping on the conversations that went on tonight.  The students took charge, showing their parents around our classroom.  They were so confident and proud of what they could do.

There were four stations set up:  Literacy/Morning Message, Math, Calendar, and Journals.  This year, we had a 100% parent-turnout!  I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

estimation jars
Estimation jars
Morning Message sample
Morning Message “challenge” version for the grade 1s and any daring Ks
The alligator always eats the bigger number!
The alligator always eats the bigger number! [Inequality]

What’s Hatching?

Division 7 and 8 are studying a new theme this month. We are little scientists and we are learning about oviparous animals. Last week, three eggs arrived at our school. We will get to see how these eggs hatch!  The eggs are slightly larger than the ones we usually eat at home. They will take approximately three weeks to hatch.  The eggs are safely stored in an incubator in Ms. Gourlay’s classroom.  We will visit them every 2-3 days to make an observation about the eggs and write down some notes in our observation booklets, as scientists do.

eggs in the incubator

Ms. Gourlay and I are keeping it a secret.  What animal do you think is inside?  “Hopefully not a dinosaur,” said a kindergarten student.

Spring flowers!

We painted the backgrounds and experimented with changing paint colours. We added white or black to make a colour lighter or darker, and mixed some colours together to make new colours. Then we made flowers and added them to our paintings.

Let’s hope these flowers bring on some warmer weather ahead!  These are now on our bulletin board in the hallway.

Tennis

What a fun sport!  Students had fun learning with our instructor, Marcus.