September… Zoooooom.

Wow, September went by quickly! The students in Division 7 have settled well into their new classroom and I have enjoyed getting to know your children.  Thank you for coming to our Parent as Partners on Sept 26 & 27th.  I enjoyed meeting you all and I appreciated the information you shared about your children.

This month, students were introduced to the Zones of Regulation.  We connected the emotions of Blue, Red, Yellow, and Green to Disney Pixar’s, Inside Out movie.  Students were taught to recognize their states of emotions and they learned some strategies to help regulate their emotions.  

When we’re in the blue (sadness/tired) or red (angry/upset) zones, it can be difficult for us to focus on our learning.  We need strategies to help us move to the green (go/happy) zone.

Some of the strategies we learned are: learning to slow our breathing with figure 8 breathing, going for a walk, read/draw, etc.  We worked in small groups on these strategies and did a quick presentation in front of our peers.

We started to use technology in our classroom.  We learned how to log into our laptops, how to care for our school resources, and how to work with others.  If you have earphones for your child, please feel free to send a pair with them to school! 

Students have shown a lot of interest during computer time.  They get quite excited when they can practise their typing, play math puzzles together, or when they can complete their online-reading program, Raz-Plus.

We celebrated International Dot Day on September 15th.  We read Peter H. Reynolds storybook The Dot together.  We learned to “make our mark“, and to see where the journey leads us.  A discovery it was!  We first decided if we wanted to use cool or warm colours to start our mark, and then our journey took off.  I’m very proud of their contribution to the class project on our Wow Wall!

Thank you for dropping by Division 7.  

~Ms. L

Hello and Welcome!

Hello Everyone!

I’m excited to start my new adventure with Cascade Heights Elementary!  My name is Pam Louie and I will be teaching grades 4/5 this year.  I come from Lochdale Community School, where I taught for about 10 years, and have been with the Burnaby School District for over 10 years.  The majority of my teaching experience has been as an intermediate classroom teacher, where I spent the last 7 years as a grade 6/7 teacher.  Early in my career, I had some minor teaching experiences as a learning support teacher, an aboriginal resource teacher, and as an english language learner support teacher.

I completed my Masters of Education, where my research looked at care and community building in the classroom.  I am passionate about building self-confidence in students and establishing a classroom environment where they feel supported, nurtured, and cared for.  

My hope is to update the class blog monthly to share our learning journey with you. I look forward to meeting you and to a wonderful school year!

Sincerely,

Ms. Louie