G Suite (originally GAFE) is the educational platform of Google Drive; a powerful online suite of program tools that include Documents (writing), Sheets (spreadsheet), Forms (surveys), Drawing, and Presentation (powerpoint). Word processing (Docs) has the advantage of additional tools, which allow for inclusion of students in the writing process. The new powerful speech-to-text synthesizer is a welcome tool for those who need additional support. Any file can be uploaded to Drive including MSWord documents, thus providing an online environment to share and access content. Teamwork is organized through a file sharing system, either by individual file or through the use of folders. You never need to know what version you are working – every edit is in real time. The commenting feature can be specific to an area of writing in need of focus. The latest addition to this platform is Google Classroom (organizational process for addressing assignment delivery and hand-in).
Uses for Google Drive:
- writing process (brainstorm, draft, revision, edit, commenting, publishing) [Docs]
- notetaking (Docs)
- Speech-to-text synthesizer (helpful for those who struggle with writing)
- Comment feature supports writing/thinking process (no more guesswork)
- collaborative teamwork
- math problem solving and graphing (Forms)
- surveys and questionnaires (Forms)
- presentations (Presentation)
- open/convert/read MSOffice files
- access online or offline on any device
- cloud storage
Add in some Chrome extensions (if you’re using Chrome) and you’ve really got something.
We originally piloted Writing Workshop with Google Apps for Education. Now we’ve expanded to any classes (elementary or secondary) who would like to work, organize, collaborate and write using this environment. Please contact any of our Learning Technologies team for how to access this powerful platform.
For basic instructions, click here.
Create a survey using Google Forms.