Happy September. Hope your summer was filled with lots of time for family, rejuvenation and fun. Back to another year of learning, connecting with familiar faces and meeting new faces. Whether you’re starting in a new site, new job position or deepening your understanding of the redesigned curriculum, it’s an exciting time. One of the greatest things about our district is that we’re in the journey together. Support is everywhere – ask someone, anyone! If they don’t know, they’ll point you in a direction.
Learning Technologies supports every curricular area. Included in this are innovative learning and teaching practices, communication, assessment as well as consult on hardware related possibilities. Latest opportunities you ask?
- Last year we launched our ADST kits focused on developing the language of core competencies (centers that can be run in any elementary building). This will continue – if your school is interested, contact any member of our Learning Tech team.
- Trying to get your writing standards so there is focused support on revision process or respond in timely manner? GAFE (Google Apps for Education) connects and takes advantage of everything digital. This allows you and your students to layer comments where needed (anytime, anywhere). Group work could never be easier.
- O365 is on a soft pilot launch at secondary and this will unfold through the year.
- Need a web presence for your classroom work and communication with parents? Tired of all that paper that doesn’t quite get home? Our sd41 blogs are the mainstay for informing parents/students. Help parents to understand the redesigned curriculum by providing tidbits. Give a window into your class learning. (At elementary, a classblog can also be the platform to authentically practice their digital citizenship/footprint.)
- Want to “Communicate Student Reflective Learning“? Our ePortfolios/blogfolios have risen to the challenge of providing a space catered for reflection. A private space for students to show elements of critical thinking to their parents and gain responses. This is a back-and-forth conversation including child-parent-teacher. What we’ve discovered is that it connects across languages and generations (parents, grandparents can respond in any language), across distances (families who live in other parts of the globe), as well as strengthens digital citizenship (for upper intermediates, parts can be public like a website).
- Get the most out of your iPads (idevices). This is an ongoing conversation as apps are constantly removed and added to iTunes. Our “Top 20” has changed again – stay tuned. We support district configuration, school organization and effective learning using the tool.
- Classroom online programs supporting literacy and math?
- Fast ForWord (district) – Tier 3 or 2 intervention targeting students at-risk for reading. (*contact: Janet Chow)
- School site support – we love meeting and working alongside our teachers and administrators. Email our team.
Current Learning Teams:
- Honouring Voice in Every Writer – Engaging Hearts and Minds > open to anyone who is interested in using GAFE (Google Apps for Education). Storytelling is about discovery; discovery of oneself, discovery of our relationship with the world, discovery of questions within ourselves. Using GAFE in ways that is purposeful and intentional, elevates the connection and allows the power of voice to lift off to wider audiences. This project boldly attempts to create spaces where every voice is heard and empowered. (Registration will be on Staff Development Calendar)
- Supporting classroom innovative practices > Partnership with SETBC and district LSS creating communities of practice between classroom teacher and LST to differentiate for all students. These teams are provided with technologies (and pro-d) that support the learning for all students.
- ImagineerTech – focused on integration of technologies within the classroom in meaningful, purposeful ways.
This is only a smattering of opportunities – we’re involved with so much more. If you’re interested in something not on this list, please email our team.