June 22, 2017
Students and Parents:
With one week left, we are wrapping up the last of our projects, cleaning up our binders and bins, and preparing to complete this school year! How exciting! This year we did so much, and what a great community of friends and learners we’ve all been. I’m sad to have us go our separate ways, but hope that you all take a much needed rest and enjoy all the excitement the summer has to offer. I wish for us all many outdoor adventures – camping, swimming, hiking, boating, visiting friends, and enjoying the long summer nights with loved ones! Please play safe and have a fantastic summer!! We’ll see you in the fall!
~ Ms. L
May 31, 2017
Next week, we start our Loonie Swims. Please remember, if you choose not to participate you will need to come prepared to work on school-related work. Students may be given something “extra” to work on. If you plan on participating, please be sure to submit your yellow permission form and $3 total for the three swims (they’re $1 each). Swims are June 6, 7, and 19th.
May 24, 2017
We’re ready! Students have been considering their strengths and areas of improvement! Please view their reflections of their “CORE COMPETENCIES” in their ePortfolios.
Parents/guardians: you provided the district with your email address and we have now provided you with a username and password so that you can login and view your child’s work. Please support your child’s learning by viewing their portfolio together and giving feedback. Please ask your child for your username/password if they haven’t given it to you yet.
April 21, 2017
What a great couple field trips we’ve had this month!
We finished our Plants unit (Science) with a special plant walk with indigenous plant specialist, Cease Wyss, who told us many stories of plants and their special qualities. Thank you, Cease! Though it was a rainy day, it was great to learn so much from you!
We also went to Science World and participated in a Chemistry Lab, learning about pH, solutions and reactions. What a great day!
April 6, 2017
- April 12 – Plant Walk to Central Park – 9:00 am sharp, we walk to Central Park where we will be met by Cease Wyss and Ms. Hotomanie. At 11:30 we will walk back to be at Maywood in time for lunch. Please come prepared for the weather! We are going rain or shine!
- April 12 – Student Led Conferences – 2:00 pm to 6:45 pm. Students lead their visitor(s) through all the work they’ve done this term and last.
- April 18 – All day field trip to Science World. Please bring a bagged lunch and snacks for the day.
- April 21 – Earth Day. We’ll be walking to Central Park again this month in celebration of Earth Day and the fabulous fun we have in the forest! We’ll be joined by Ms. Aprim’s class.
March 10, 2017
We’ve finally confirmed our date for the plant walk with Ms. Hotomanie and Cease Wyss, an” indigenous plant diva” who will be sharing her traditional knowledge of the plants that can be found throughout the streets and everyday spaces of Vancouver and Burnaby, reminding us that the medicines are all around us in our urbanized environments!
We’ll head out first thing in the morning, April 12 at 9:00am and will return in time for lunch. We are going rain or shine, so please come prepared for all kinds of weather!
February 24, 2017
Are you guys interested in this…?
Windermere Secondary students have organised a special screening of Before the Flood
at the Rio Theatre on April 4th. The film is narrated by Leonardo Di Caprio and takes a close look at the climate crisis.
Entry is $5 per student/teacher to be paid at door. There are 120 tickets remaining. Doors open at noon and film starts at 12:30pm. To find out more details and register please visit the following link.
Please share with your colleagues
To purchase tickets, visit: here
February 16, 2017
- Feb 13: Family Day (no school) – Get outside and enjoy your family!
- Feb 14: Valentines Day – celebrate and show gratitude to those you love!
- Feb 17: Professional Day for teachers (no school for students).
- Feb 21+22: Tea Tasting w. Ms. Hotomanie (Science First Peoples).
- Feb 22: Pink Shirt Day – Leadership students take us to Metrotown to show us some random acts of kindness and perform our dance “Can’t Stop the Feeling” (1pm)!
February 10, 2017
Please don’t forget to study ALL THINGS MATTER (Ch. 4 to 6).
Ms. Greenlay’s class test is Tuesday, Feb 13
Ms. Lanaway’s class test is Thursday, Feb 16
February 8, 2017
by josh0141 bbyed
I was a little scared heading in to the new school, but it was great! I know you won’t believe it but I’m actually in Mr. Marghelis is class, and probably Danijel and Angelica remember him but it’s ok if you don’t. I miss you guys; I still have to pick up my stuff there! Ok, have a great time you guys.