March and April Update

Since Spring Break, Division 2 has had quite a few projects and special activities on the go.  With Division 1, and Mr. Bernard (From Cariboo), we had been working in groups on a woodworking bridge project.  We finally tested our bridges, measuring their overall weight and found out if they met the 5kg weight bearing goal across a 1metre span.

We have also been learning about another new component of the redesigned curriculum, called the Core Competencies.   During our “Maker Space” project time, we work in small groups around a creative team challenge, such as the MakeyMakey circuitry challenge, the Ollie or Sphero coding challenge, general coding on the iPads, writing and recording new music and beats on Garage Band (iPad), or building a structure using the Keva Blocks.  After each session, we reflect on the Core Competencies, thinking about how we problem solved through these new challenges with our classmates, and how we used creative thinking, critical thinking, communication  and social responsibility skills.  Here are some pictures of us working in our Maker Space:

In recognition of International Day of Pink, the entire school walked up to Cariboo High School, wearing pink, to spread messages of appreciation and inclusion around their school.  We spent time appreciating the mentors from Cariboo, and even had some time to do a little dancing! 

This week, our teacher-librarian, Ms. Su, let us know that she has organized the three candidates from our local riding in the upcoming election to come to our school for a student debate.  We began brainstorming questions that we have, on topics such as Healthcare, Education, Local Issues… and we look forward to hearing how the BC Liberal, NDP, and Green Party candidates will respond to each of our questions.  Parents are welcome to come watch the debate (but sorry, only the students will be able to ask questions as this is a student-run debate!) next Friday, April 28th at 11am in the gym.

Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

February Update

After school basketball game. Going over the game plan with Coach White.

In the middle of the action

Learning about life in high school life with some of our future teachers from Cariboo Hill Secondary, as well as some of their Student Leadership Team.

Tours at Cariboo

The tour takes us outside to the back field at Cariboo.

Hammering the metal down during our Metal Workshop

After hammering and annealing our pieces of metal, they were well on their way to becoming leaf-inspired pendants

Learning how to safely saw to cut the wood to create our bridges

Learning about positive and negative integers during math 7

Stories, Skating and Speeches

January was jammed with much learning and fun from beginning to end.  Have a look below at the slideshow to see  some of what we were up to.

• Learning about Digital Citizenship and online safety using EverFi, and online web resource. Don't forget your headphones on Fridays, kids!

The grade 7 speech competition continues into mid-February.  Stay tuned to see who will go on to represent Second Street at the district finals.  

Happy New Year & Updates

Happy New Year to all our Second Street families!  I hope everyone had a great break and got some rest. The second term is always a very busy one, with a lot of curriculum jam packed into it.  It is safe to say that have hit the ground running today, as we get settled into our routines again at school.

Before the break I sent home information about something called “ePortfolios”.  Today, the students in Division 2 logged into their accounts for the first time, and began a reflective piece of writing around their goals for the second term.  Your child should be giving you a notice that includes more information about the ePortfolios, including how to access their site, as well as important log in and password info for their parent/guardian.  Please keep this information somewhere safe, and try to log in to the site in the next few days, if possible.  If you have an issue with the log in information I have provided, please send me an email (Lindsay.Holliday@sd41.bc.ca) and I will get it sorted out for you. The notice you should be receiving today looks like this:

eportletterforparentswithpassword

Most importantly, please know that you are invited to visit you child’s site and to give comments about their learning and thinking.  I  hope that we can use the ePortfolios in a meaningful way to further bridge school life with home life, and to have conversations about our thinking and learning.  Thank you for being a part of this project.

Ms. Holliday 🙂

Technology in Division 2

Recently, Division 2 have been busy in Social Studies working on a project about global issues.  Using an iPad app called Adobe Spark, the students are creating a presentation to answer the question “How would my life be different…?”.  Each student has been investigating a different global issue (e.g. poverty, racism, global warming etc.), and are recording their voices over top of pictures to describe their learning.  If you have internet access at home, feel free to ask your child to log into  our Adobe account to show you their project.  You will find other students’ projects in the account- be sure not to open other projects.  They are a work in progress and we are practising digital citizenship by respecting each others’ work.  Here are some pictures of us hard at work today:

• Adobe Voice at work!

We recently had some fun during our week of tennis lessons.  Maybe we will be ready for Wimbledon next summer!

img_8406

Ms. Holliday 🙂

Inspiration

In Division 2513totikjl-_sx331_bo1204203200_, we have been reading a novel called My Name is Seepeetza.  Through this journal-style novel, we are learning about Canada’s dark history with Residential Schools, and about the systemic racism that they spawned.  Please ask your child about this important topic and find out more about what they are learning in class.

To the Students of Division 2:

Take a look at this CBC news article.  I read this today and thought of you all.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/11-year-old-paints-dark-history-of-canada-s-residential-schools-1.3836022

I wonder if we could do something similar, to educate people about another important issue that we are thinking about. What are your thoughts?  We will discuss this in class next week.

Ms. Holliday 🙂

September has come and gone!

It’s  hard to believe we are now almost half way through October! September flew by as we got into our classes for the year, set up new routines and began learning!  Here are a few photos of how September went at Second Street:

In September we had a visit from the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame, where Brent Hayden, Canadian Olympic Swimmer, came to share with us about his journey to becoming an Olympic swimmer!  Did you know: when he was a child, he failed swimming lessons at first.  He decided to give it another try, and now look at what he has done!

sportshalloffame

We started our routines, such as library visits (Friday mornings).  Here, Ms. Jhaj is reading us a story about belonging.

library

We also participated in the Terry Fox run, and were able to raise a toonie for Terry for each Second Street Student! Way to go to the grade leadership students who advertised this goal and helped us reach it.  The photo below shows our learning of Terry at the assembly, just before we set out on the run:

terry-fox

Important reminders:

Gym strip (a change of top and bottoms) is required on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Library books will be renewed or returned on Fridays.  Daily homework can be found on the “Homework” page at the top of the website.

Thanks for all your support!

Ms. H 🙂

Welcome to a new school year!

Ms. H couldn't resist!

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself; my name is Lindsay Holliday and I am thrilled to have joined the team over at Second Street as Head Teacher/grade 6/7 teacher this year!  I come from Lochdale Community School, where I taught for about 10 years.  I have a background in Learning Support, and more recently enjoyed teaching in the classroom as a grade 6/7 teacher as well as Head Teacher.  I am passionate about building self-confidence in students, and in building community amongst all students.  Feel free to check this space for periodic updates about what we are up to, and for daily updates regarding our homework and assignments.  My door is always open, and parents/guardians can email me any time at: Lindsay.Holliday@sd41.bc.ca.  Students may email me homework questions at: ms.l.holliday@gmail.com. Thanks for your support and I look forward to meeting you and discussing how we can work together to help your child have a great year!  -Ms. Holliday 🙂