Literacy Week – January 21st-25th at University Highlands!!
LEAP INTO LEARNING!
During literacy week 2013, there will be a host of exciting events to recognize and celebrate literacy in our school community. To plan for this week, here are some ways you can contribute to make it an exciting and successful week:
- Donate books. Please bring in any children books (K-7) that you can for our annual Book Bonanza (book swap). Please note that we are in particular need of primary books. Please also note that donated books should be in relatively good condition.
- Encourage your child to dress up on Wednesday, January 23rd as his/her favourite storybook character.
- Volunteer to be a guest reader in your child’s classroom. Students will enjoy and benefit from hearing your favourite childhood stories. Coordinate a time with your child’s teacher.
- Complete the home reading bingo with your child for the month of January (bingo cards will be sent out Monday, January 14th and should be returned to the library by January 31st).
- Encourage your child to write and submit a story or poem for the annual Burnaby Writing Contest: Words. For complete contest details, please click on “Burnaby Writing Contest” on my library blog at: http://blogs.sd41.bc.ca/highlands-library/. Please note that poems or stories should be submitted to your child’s teacher on or before February 8th in order to be considered for entry.
- Celebrate Family Literacy Day (January 27th). Go to the library, read a book or the newspaper together, exchange family histories or play a favourite board game. For more ideas, check out http://abclifeliteracy.ca/fld/15-minutes-of-fun.
For more details about literacy week or to find out more about how you can contribute to this event-filled week, please contact me at Brenda.Papapanagiotou@sd41.bc.ca.
Teacher-librarian – University Highlands