University Highlands Library

March 1, 2016
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

Tumblebook Library

Tumblebooks has given Burnaby schools access to their library, for free for the rest of this school year!  You can find books online which will appeal to all grades and ages: graphic novels, ebooks, fiction, non-fiction, and picture books.  I especially like the feature that will read picture books aloud, great when you have a few minutes to fill waiting for an appointment or a bus.  Students can access them at school by clicking on this icon

logoBanner1

on the school website.  To access from home you will need to log in, just email Mrs. MacLeod to get the user name and password.

October 7, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

UHE Reads 250

The home reading club has started again at University Highlands.  The goal this year is to read at home for 250 days!  You will need to read almost every day between now and June to reach 250.  You will still be able to finish if you miss a few days here and there, but try to read every day.  Pink sheets were sent out this week or last week, and you can start recording your reading from October 1st.

September 23, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

A Wonderful Book Fair!

We had a great book fair last week.  Our goal was to make $2000 in sales, and we surpassed that by a ton.  The grand total in sales was $2996.95!  Thank you to everyone who came shopping to support our library.  I’d also like to thank the dedicated parent and student volunteers who helped at the book fair, I couldn’t have done it without them!  The library kept $481 in books and still has $238 left to spend on books in the future.

I’m looking forward to seeing all the classes in the library this week for a regular visit.  Some students may even get to borrow one of the brand new books!

September 11, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

Welcome Back!

I am so excited to begin a new school year at UHE!  We will be starting the fun early in the library with a book fair next week.  Come visit during intake interviews next week.  The book fair will be open at the following times

• Wednesday, September 16     3:00-5:00
  • Thursday, September 17    12:15-1:00  &  2:00-7:00
  • Friday, September 18     12:15-1:00

I’ve had a sneak peak at some of the books which will be coming, and they look good!  If you’d like to see some of the books I read over the summer, you can visit my own blog at mscollinslovesbooks.com

March 6, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

Battle of the Books

Division 1 and 2 are very excited about Battle of the Books! In this team competition students try to remember in which book various events happened. The teams got together yesterday and everyone left with at least one book to read over the break. Some people were keen to try to borrow more from the public library, so here is the list for you:

1. Ark Angel – Anthony Horowitz
  2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas – John Boyne
  3. Belly Up – Stuart Gibbs
  4. El Deafo – CeCe Bell
  5. Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom – Eric Wight
  6. Homework Machine – Dan Gutman
  7. My Life as a Book – Janet Tashijan
  8. Rules – Cynthia Lord
  9. Sees Behind Trees – Michael Dorris
  10. 11 birthdays – Wendy Mass

Happy reading!

February 19, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

Book Fair Success

Our book fair last week was a grand success!  We sold $3357 worth of books and fun stuff.  That translates into nearly $400 worth of books from the fair for the library, plus $898 to spend on author visits and other books.  We met our goal which was to pay for both author visits this spring: Jennifer Lott in February and Eric Walters who is coming in March!

I am working as fast as I can to get the new books stamped, stickered, and ready to sign out.  Everyone was excited to see and borrow the new books today!  Some of the most popular ones were Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot, the Minecraft books (I had to buy a second set!), and Stick Dog, a series which is new to our library.  Check back next week for more new books hitting the shelf!

February 3, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

Jennifer Lott Author Visit

On Thursday we had a fabulous visit from local author Jennifer Lott as part of our ongoing celebration of Literacy Week!  The primary classes had a chance to hear Jennifer talk about her writing and read from “Hexed Hair”, the latest book in her Family Magic Series.

Jennifer explained where she got the idea for her stories, mostly from her own relationship with her sisters.  Many students could relate to the feeling of wanting to put a spell on a sibling!  She also explained some of the challenges of communicating with an illustrator who lives in a different country (Italy) and speaks another language (Italian).  She showed us a long wig and we imagined what sorts of things might get tangled in your hair if it wouldn’t stop growing.

My favourite part was when Jennifer read from her book, she really made the characters come alive.  Glenda, Charlotte and Eilleen were funny and talked to each other like real sisters.  The students were laughing along, especially when Eileen and Charlotte woke up to realize they had no hair left on their heads!

After the reading many students bought one (or both) of the books and had the chance to ask Jennifer to sign it for them.  Jennifer left some copies of “Cursed Dishes” and “Hexed Hair” so if anyone missed the chance to buy one they can come see me on Monday.  I also have two copies of each book to be borrowed from the library.  I have a feeling they will be pretty popular!

Check out the photos from the visit.  Some of the students in Division 7 were so inspired that they used the 15 Minutes of Fun plasticine bin to create characters from the book.

Listening to Jennifer talk about her writing

Picture 1 of 5

January 24, 2015
by Mrs. MacLeod
0 comments

15 Minutes of Fun

IMG_1513 IMG_1514We are ready for Literacy Week with our 15 Minutes of Fun bins!  Every day classes can borrow a new bin and explore a new activity.  There is drama, science, art, math, games, and of course, reading!  The library is full of books just waiting to be discovered, and reading them is a great way to try something new.

Translate »